Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dashcam recommendations

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
Do any of you guys have a dashcam in your car?
I'm looking at getting one as the traffic in Brisbane is getting heavier, and drivers seem to be getting dumber.

Is there any brands that are better than others?

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
I use a gator brand dashcam model GHDVR379 bought from supercheap for around $70 on special.
Thing is brilliant records at 1080p has gps tracking and a g-sensor.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I have a Blackvue DR750 2ch, with a Power Magic Pro, I put a 128gb SD Card in it, a great unit,
Records for at least 3 days of driving, inc parking mode.

I have connected it up to the DOC connector by a OEM Phone Patch Harness, that can be used for a Dashcam
so you don't have to hack the wiring, just plug it in.
It has a Hot wire, Accessory Wire and a Negative Wire.
If you need one, PM me.

Attachments

• VE Phone Harness.jpg
    VE Phone Harness.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

SimeonCervantes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
There are a lot of options as long as you keep your eyes open on the market. It has become increasingly apparent that dashcams are becoming an important part of the method when it comes to the cars and its driving mevhanics. However, there should be some options where we can use some other kinds of tools because that has become apparent that there are some aspects of the industry that does not really make sure that these tools are not used. There are people who will have trouble when it comes to this but that was expected coming from the days that there are some people who love using other things like a decked out side mirror or some thing like that lol

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
i have viofo 119 fitted in both cars with gps you can see all the different dashcams in action on dashcams australia youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvfqpaehdaqtkXPNhvJRyGA

Unfortunately these dash cams are very hit and miss in reliability, read the reviews online regarding VIOFO and you will get very mixed reviews. They have great clarity and features but if you get one that is unreliable (like I have) you will be forever trying to get it to work properly and I am not the only one unfortunately. There are now YouTube videos on how to fix them.

Mine has so many bugs in it that started showing up within 6 months of purchase. Spoke to the manufacturer they recommended fixes which I did and the dashcam comes good again, but then in about 3 months the problems return. The manufacturer always has suggestions on how to fix it, which works but doesn't last. Eventually the 12 month warranty runs out and the manufacturer isn't interested anymore.

First thing to go is the power through the GPS unit to the camera unit. Manufacturer suggests to buy a new GPS unit rather than supply one under warranty. Then the settings keep deleting every couple of months for no reason. Then if you don't keep an eye on the recording that is being made, the camera displays it's recording, but it actually isn't even though it is set to loop recording. If you get a dodgy one you will be always resetting it, resetting your setting, checking to make sure it's actually recording etc.

They look good and if you decide to buy one I hope you get a good one, but I would buy something else there are so many better more reliable brands out there. I am now just waiting for it to fail completely before going and buying another one.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Another vote for Blackvue DR750 here, bought one for my old man and myself.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Another vote for Blackvue DR750 here, bought one for my old man and myself.

They are so reliable,
I got mine as a present from a relative for doing a heap of work on his VY, as I didn't change any labour cost.
At the time he was selling them online.

I tested about 20 after market micro SD Cards, and then found 128gb Cards that worked correctly,
I now have 2 x micro SD Cards, and rotate them ever month.