Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dashcam Wiring Advice

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hi all, I have an extra 2 cigarette sockets running of the original cigarette socket so I have a total of three cigarette sockets and I have recently blown the 20 amp fuse when I was using all three at the same time so I am going to install the dash camera by using a 12 volt converter to 5 volts instead of how it was with a USB cigarette adapter but I don't know where to hook up the converter to, do I go from the stereo 12 volt (accessories) or somewhere else. I have a fuse for the converter that's about 3 amps so I'm hoping not to piggy back of the stereo, it has to be run off an accessories so that when I start the car the dash cam will turn on automatically and off when the car is off. I have a VS Ute from 1996.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Why not just hard wire it into the stereo fuse point with a fuse jumper, or are you saying your camera can’t do that and you’re trying to replicate the camera’s cigarette plug with your own converter? The stereo fuse socket will suit that either way.

If you’re going to all that trouble anyway, you could run an extra wire and fuse to fix your accessory overload problem.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Why not just hard wire it into the stereo fuse point with a fuse jumper, or are you saying your camera can’t do that and you’re trying to replicate the camera’s cigarette plug with your own converter? The stereo fuse socket will suit that either way.

If you’re going to all that trouble anyway, you could run an extra wire and fuse to fix your accessory overload problem.
Grimes If I add a fuse to the top pin of fuse number 13 (radio) and use this pin for 12 volts to the adapter of the dash cam then use a different ground would that mean the two fuses would be separate from each other. The radio fuse is 7.5 amps (number 13) but the fuse in the back of the radio its self is 10 amps and the fuse for the dash cam is 2 amps

Attachments

• Fuse Panel Small.jpg
    Fuse Panel Small.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Adapter Small.jpg
    Adapter Small.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 88

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Use one of these. It plugs into the stereo fuse position, then the stereo fuse goes into the lower position on the fitting. You can then put a 2 Amp fuse into the top one. Not sure if spade fuses go down below 3A, so if not just run the glass fuse in line with the red power wire. The black Earth simply connects to a nearby earth. The fuse panel fixing screws are close and work well.

I’ve got a couple in my fuse block and they work well. Get them from Autobarn or SCA.

Attachments

• 5D097130-F139-4BC6-9306-6C83D4FFF53C.jpeg
    5D097130-F139-4BC6-9306-6C83D4FFF53C.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 77

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi all, I have an extra 2 cigarette sockets running of the original cigarette socket so I have a total of three cigarette sockets and I have recently blown the 20 amp fuse when I was using all three at the same time so I am going to install the dash camera by using a 12 volt converter to 5 volts instead of how it was with a USB cigarette adapter but I don't know where to hook up the converter to, do I go from the stereo 12 volt (accessories) or somewhere else. I have a fuse for the converter that's about 3 amps so I'm hoping not to piggy back of the stereo, it has to be run off an accessories so that when I start the car the dash cam will turn on automatically and off when the car is off. I have a VS Ute from 1996.

FYI: The VT's > VZ's have a Phone Connection terminal under the Console,
Not sure about the VR's or VS's

And that was Perfect for a Dash Cam
It has a -
Hot Wire,
Auxiliary Wire
Negative Wire,
So you don't need to run extra wires,

Maybe do a bit more looking before you tamper with the wiring, as it may be available in the VS's.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Vs's have the phone connector too taped up under the glovebox.

Perfect for this.