Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Day time running lamps.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
Hello everyone and very merry Christmas and festive season. Just a quick question if some one could help, I recently purchased a my15 Sportswagon with 53 000 kms V8 which I am enjoying and having plenty of fun driving. The wagon was ex police I since found out, I can not get the day time running lamps or they never come on anyway, do you know if the police would disconnect them for any reason, its annoying me that I can not figure out why they never seem to come on. Thank's in advance.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Hello everyone and very merry Christmas and festive season. Just a quick question if some one could help, I recently purchased a my15 Sportswagon with 53 000 kms V8 which I am enjoying and having plenty of fun driving. The wagon was ex police I since found out, I can not get the day time running lamps or they never come on anyway, do you know if the police would disconnect them for any reason, its annoying me that I can not figure out why they never seem to come on. Thank's in advance.
My hunch is that as the DRLs are always on with the headlights off and motor running, sometimes the police may want to have their car to be in stealth mode. I.E. no lights at all.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
My hunch is that as the DRLs are always on with the headlights off and motor running, sometimes the police may want to have their car to be in stealth mode. I.E. no lights at all.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8

Thank's for getting back revster, that was sort of my hunch also as the car is is phantom black, very dark tinted windows and seems to be a tiny bit lower than other wagons and as it has only had one previous owner being Victoria Police Dawson St Brunswick purchased from Preston Motors Essendon I figured it may be an ex undercover vehicle hence the daytime lights not working, either way its annoying me and when I take it to Holden for its service I guess I will have to get them to check it out.. I am pleasantly surprised just how far Holden have come with the VF series model and style and technology I have had Holdens since the early 1980s when I got my first one a HQ 4 door GTS Monaro but due to having farms and rural living have always had dual cab 4 x4 work horse's and also currently have the 2015 LTZ Colorado which is also a great machine but loving the style and power of the Wagon as well :)

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
Eterno, you have an ex Highway patrol car (wagon) there.

The DRL's are deactivated so the engine can run with all the lights off.

The car is actually unroadworthy in it's current state (Police have an exemption) and the dealer that sold it to you needs to fix it. They have actually sold you an unroadworthy car.

I'm sure they will fix it when you point it out.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
Eterno, you have an ex Highway patrol car (wagon) there.

The DRL's are deactivated so the engine can run with all the lights off.

The car is actually unroadworthy in it's current state (Police have an exemption) and the dealer that sold it to you needs to fix it. They have actually sold you an unroadworthy car.

I'm sure they will fix it when you point it out.
Thank you for the reply... I have the father in law here at present and he said the exact same thing as you, I really did not notice this when I recently purchased it but are a little annoyed now that they sold me the car with the DRL's not working although I am not sure whether they noticed or not. I rang the closest local Holden dealer and explained what was going on and he said to bring it in and they would need to reset something about the ECU?? Hope its not a big deal to sort out!

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Just check first to see they aren't simply unplugged. It's probably an ECU program but they've been known to simply unplug them too.

wombat tow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss sedan
if you have recently brought the car from a dealer take it back to him and get him to turn the daytime running lights on via the computer, I had the same problem mine was a hwy car and they switch them off at the factory for police packs. I brought mine from a non holden dealer so he organised for me to go to a holden dealer and he paid for it to be done.

wombat tow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss sedan
Thank you for the reply... I have the father in law here at present and he said the exact same thing as you, I really did not notice this when I recently purchased it but are a little annoyed now that they sold me the car with the DRL's not working although I am not sure whether they noticed or not. I rang the closest local Holden dealer and explained what was going on and he said to bring it in and they would need to reset something about the ECU?? Hope its not a big deal to sort out!
make sure you don't have to pay for it, how long have you had the car??

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
The default position is for the DRL's to be on at all times unless operational requirements dictate otherwise

There is (was) a switch in the centre console which allows the driver to control if they want the DRL's on or off