Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deception

VT00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 Auto sedan
Hi all,

Thought I would pass on a story that may be all to familiar for some, but is frankly discusting.

My wife recently took her Cruze to a Dealership in Essendon for a scheduled service. During this, she was informed that the front brakes had only 1.5mm left and needed to be replaced immediately at a cost of $650. Unfortunately I was interstate for work but luckily she called me first before agreeing to the work. I told her to decline the work and go past my independent mechanic on the way home to get a quote for the front brakes.

Turns out my mechanic had a look at it and found the brakes have 5mm left and therefore aren't critical for replacement at all.

Thought I would pass on and hopefully prevent others from being lied to by a stealership for that matter. I feel like going down there and asking for a please explain actually. Not sure it would acheive anything though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Please do.

Let them know that you are a member of a Commodore group and their response is of interest to the group!

Too many companies keep doing this crap, usually to women and get away with it.

If you can be bothered write a letter or e-mail to Holden as well.

It is disgusting.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Before taking any other action, I would remove the pads and take photos to support your claims.

And are we talking about $650 to replace just the front pads, or all four sets of pads, on a Cruze? Even if it was for all four wheels, that seems extortionate. Was any other work included apart from a service?

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Probably the only thing that would achieve is to make you mad and to waste more of your time as said above write a letter/email then vote with your feet don't go there again and as the old saying goes "a happy satisfied customer will tell someone a dissatisfied customer will tell everyone" . :beer chug:

Last edited by a moderator:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
At the end of the day who are we to know what they told ur wife (unless you have it in writing), no offense to her, but there are ways mechanics can find a way to cover themselves.

As for cost, that is why guys like us call them Stealerships...

IMO anyone is a fool for taking their car to a dealer.