Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defeceted in SA what to do?

evil_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
I got defected yesterday by the brilliant SAPOL for too low so now im off to Regency. I have a 5 speed vs v6 with 300,000ks on it a little bit of panel damage and cleanish interior. the problem is is that the car needs a fair bit of work on suspension and exhaust and a lot of cleaning in the engine bay and underbody.

From what everyone says getting through Regency is not that easy or cheap. So considering that the car is worth maybe $3000 i dont think its worth fixing it especially when i was going to be getting rid of the car in 2 weeks anyway. The question is is that where can i sell the car? how much would a wrecker give me for it? and what wrecker would be best to take it to?
Or does anyone know where in SA i can get cheap suspension and exhaust work done? any help would be great

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
i guess it just depends how much you value the car and if your willing to put money into it or not. you can sell the car in the trading post but you just have include in the ad the vehicle has been defected.i wouldnt bother taking it to a wreckers i doubt they would give you much. i cant imagin stock springs and exhaust would be that expensive? an just get a can of degreaser an head down to a happy wash.

winton

black+manual+19's=sex
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs SS II 5speed vx gts 19's
regency isnt hard to pass... 9 times outta 10 they will give u a warning on 1 or 2 things so u can pass.... if ur exhaust is too loud just put a mufler in..if ur vs in non irs i got some springs i can sell ya should pass.....

evil_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
how picky are they? alot of the bushes need to be replaced and one of the control arms is bent and the left manifold has a crack in it. am i likely to get away with those?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Fix the easy stuff you know about first. Then clean it up and take it to Regency. They will give you a list of what still has to be done before presenting the car for the 2nd time. Only about 10% of cars will pass first time, most will have to come back a 2nd time anyway. The 2nd time you go, they will usually only check was is on the list.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
how picky are they? alot of the bushes need to be replaced and one of the control arms is bent and the left manifold has a crack in it. am i likely to get away with those?

It sounds like that car shouldn't be on the road anyway. As for getting rid of it, you can either sell it to a wrecker for a fast disposal (probably make the least), wreck it yourself or sell it whole privatively. Both these options will usually take more time and also make more money.

How good is your bike?

Reaper

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
The Guys in Regency are picky as all hell, DON'T let anybody tell you otherwise. Your car has to be in perfect mechanical condition and i mean perfect to pass first time as if they see wearing on anything they will fail your for it. I know my cars inside out yet get failed on a lot of things on various cars.

However they give you a list of things wrong with the car which you have to fix before the second inspection in which case you pass so thats alright.

Some quick notes before regency.
-make sure all your accesories work such as lights, horn
-make sure brakes + hand brake work perfecrly - they put your car on a machine to test this. Remenber no more than 2.5mm wear from disk brakes.
-make sure your rear reflectors are red not white as you will be failed as i was.
-Make sure your vehicle does not have a drop of rust anywhere.
-Make sure you do not have a ripped drivers seat.
-Make sure you have excellent seat ancorage points as i was also failed on this.
-Make sure your exhaust is in perfect repair and that your suspention bushes are excellent. (practically went through my bushes with a magnifying glass despite being one week old.
-If you have a sports exhaust they give it dB test @3200 rpm.
-If you have factory Holden tint they will fail you as they did with many Holdens i have owned.
-Make sure your stearing wheel in in good repair with no freeplay.
-Make sure your rack ends and entire power systen system is in excellent condition.
-Make sure your seat belts are in good condition as i have bee failed for UV damaged seatbelts. -expensive as not alowed to buy second hand.
-Make sure your brake hoses are in excellet conditon as hairline cracks are often found in most cars older than ten years.
-engine, transmition leaks are accepatable, however no leaks to be present from power strearing/brakes.

evil_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
thanks for your help guys. thats confirms what i thought.. might as well sell it cheap.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
looks like regency/SA police are doing their job! another unroadworthy bomb off the road.

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
ill take your manual gear box :p