Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defected for 18s...

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
bad luck, cops should spend more time walking the beat on a Friday/Saturday night then revenue collecting for state government

ArmourChinker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Waggy
Defected for 18s

Hit the nail on the head....I'd be getting onto your local RTA, before coughing up any money and getting the defect removed

Already threw stockies on and payed $20 to get a friend of a friend to sign off the defect for me, but I'll do a bit more research before I contest the fine....

ArmourChinker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Waggy
As above assuming NSW uses the newer wheel laws...pretty sure it does ...yep see here http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-09-rev4.pdf
go here Tyre Size Calculator @ ExplorOz Articles and run your stock tire size prob was 205 65 15 with your 18 inch tire size in the "Tyre Size Difference Comparison"
hit calculate and check the Diameter number if its between -15 and +15mm you can then contest the fine and get a reversal...

Ps make sure the tire's fitted to your car has a load rating that is equal to or grater than the listed rating on the placard...

Good on ya mate, bloody champion!!

The stock 15s have a rolling radius of 322.6,
And the 18s are 323.75.
So it's well within the 15mm stated on the rms website. After seeing this info I will definitely contest the fine!!
I'll post my court results in a few months.....

Thanks fellas!!

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
235/40/18
A pretty common tyre size, I'd reckon...

with those tyres your well within the law....so no reason not to contest the fine..if your in the NRMA they will help with the correct way to go about it

ArmourChinker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Waggy
I've been on the SDRO website and applied to have it contested in court, I'm now waiting to get my court date.....

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
Hahaha a commodore getting a defect for rims being too big... thats a new one. But really let us know how you go about contesting it, will be interesting to see what they say

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Already threw stockies on and payed $20 to get a friend of a friend to sign off the defect for me, but I'll do a bit more research before I contest the fine....

Nothing against your mate, but you should have left the 18" rims on and your mate should have signed off on the defect with them fitted.....

ArmourChinker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Waggy
Different offset stockies.

Currently got 4 stockies on (defected for 18s) and just noticed one of them is a different offset! One has a deeper dish and sits flush with the front guard, where as the other 3 tuck under the guard by 1/2 to 3/4 inch....
https://imgur.com/a/iAsy7
Never knew stockies came in different offsets!