Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Demise of the Forum?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It is mainly due to facebook....whilst I'm not a member on it, the misses is...Only last night, I was asking about a part from a car a mate on sold, only to be fronted by a few morons carrying on like a dick....At least with forums, you can block them, facebook open pages you can't

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This forum is also largely driven by need and Interest. The last few models of commies have been more reliable than the old ones so there has been less need for people to ask questions about them and less need to fix them.
It will be most interesting when Holden closes down. The real enthusiast will be forced to maintain his pride and joy like never before because once their gone their gone, ain't no more new ones coming.
So maybe the forum will boom post 2017... Hope so!

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Ironically most active members on here seem to have moved away from, or are moving away from Commodore...

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Well I love this place I have learned so much about computer cars.
And most times have got great help and advice.
When you get on here and ask for help we have some very good experienced members that give you advice which gives you confidence.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Actually if you look at the stats for the forum its quite healthy "There are currently 1035 users online. 43 members and 992 guests" (10 to 20% of those guests are prob bots)
I think what happening here is the forum is moving over to more of a data base rather than social network, there are only so many times my car wont start threads can be answered :D.....plus the mining boom is over so the CUB's are selling up their projects and just trying to get by day to day.....

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
The one great thing about forums is I have some great friendships that have come from them. Not just this one either. Although thanks to this forum, I got a great photographer for my wedding last year! :D lol

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Actually if you look at the stats for the forum its quite healthy "There are currently 1035 users online. 43 members and 992 guests" (10 to 20% of those guests are prob bots)
I think what happening here is the forum is moving over to more of a data base rather than social network, there are only so many times my car wont start threads can be answered :D.....plus the mining boom is over so the CUB's are selling up their projects and just trying to get by day to day.....

This.

Cool running has noticed a dropoff (Its a forum ubout....err...running lol). The generally social threads are still going but as for problem solving, yes there are only so many ways in which a question can be answered. Also people might be googling specific problems rather than joining up on a forum, with the way google searches are now (I think they have become more intuitive).

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Ironically most active members on here seem to have moved away from, or are moving away from Commodore...

Back when I had my Commodores the NSW chapter was very popular with monthly cruises

While many of us still catch up it is usually via camping and 4x4ing that we have shifted to rather than Commodore stuff.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
People are starting to realise that driving cars, playing with the kids and getting out of the house is more important than looking at a screen. In years to come all will want most of that wasted time back.....

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
i remember every weekend i was with mates, doing something to our cars, and getting up to mischief.

those guy? the guys i use to speak to every day? and see every weekend? you know i can honestly say i havent spoken to them in years...

they got out of the scene for the same reasons i backed out of it for, but now they have families (a much better choice)

they no longer have the tuff cars. they have family cars with baby seats in the back. and working 2 jobs to support them.

when i do speak to them, its something out of "Cats In The Cradle" song

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said "Id like to see you if you don't mind"
He said "Id love to Dad, if I could find the time.
You see my new jobs a hassle, and the kids have the flu.
But It's sure nice talking to you, Dad,
It's been sure nice talking to you........"

id love to point my finger at something so basic as facebook, but i cant. i refuse to use facebook but its one of the last things breathing life back into the car scene.

the three things that ruined everything imo

1. Technology (incl theft)
2. Police
3. Drugs (such as ice)

todays cars, young blokes cant tinker with them like you could older cars. now days you touch something and it throws fault codes and alarms and all kinds of bullshit.

i helped my mate install a tow bar on his wifes audi. fairly simple thing right? it logged 38 fault codes.... what the fk seriously.

so wheres the fun in modifying your first car? doing *this* and *that* to get that bees dick of power you'll never notice. well its gone, something you and your mates would do in your parents garage has turned into spending $1500 to get a *drive in, drive out* tune. theres no back bone to it, theres no meaning, theres no heart, there is no blood, sweat and tears.

i can look at this photo and remember all the emotions i felt, remember all the late, late, LATE nights with my mates, all the stress i experienced, but most of all... all the fun i had turning that machine, into the monster i own today

DSC00580.jpg

but wheres the fun in having a picture in your head, of something so beautiful that when you actually create it, make it come to life, the police can take that dream away with 1 simple yellow slip.

and please dont give me 'well make your car legal and you wont have a problem' looking different, having something unique, not being a sheep will always run on the wrong side of the law.

there was no line between 'complete wanker' and 'just a simple guy who loves his machine' it was rolled into 1 in most cops eyes.

so whats the point of doing any of the above when it inevitably all goes to ****. from spending thousands on parts, to breaking those said parts, to getting defected and being fined.

why not buy some drugs and party all weekend, every weekend. not like the police will catch you (unless of course youre in a lowered holden)

the ripple effect hits everything and everyone.

- car forums/ car scene
- kids getting out, tackling something and feeling like the accomplished something
- reputable car modifiers that once had some angry cars are now doing simple oil changes on taxis, or shutting down

the harmless fun me and the boys had taking our cars out and throwing some loops has turned into going to the club, popping a pill and getting king hit.

sorry about the wall of text and any spelling mistakes and i know most people wont agree with me but thats how i feel