Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I've done a search and can't find anything on this.
What's the best way to detail the engine bay. I have a red VS ute and the engine bay isn't too bad but I'd like to give it a general wash up, maybe polish up the paint work etc, clean up the dusty surfaces etc.

Cheers, Big Al

The ecotec motors are pretty good dealing with water. To get rid of grease and oil I use some degreaser in a spray bottle and agitate with a cheap paint brush. To just get rid of dust etc Just rinse with a spray nozzle on the garden hose, a bucket of car wash and then rinse of.

If you're concerned about water just cover electirs with plastic shopping bags and take off the belt. The belt will squeal if it gets degreaser on it.

xcopr

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve omega xcop car
how to polish and wax car

hi there guys, I woud like to know the easiest way to polish and wax the car i hve a vespers blue omega dark blue,can someone tell me the best proudct and how to do it step by step thanx

AndyVKSSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR caprice 5ltr, VK group 3 rep 5ltr
seriously how many times does this need to be answerd? hell if you want the easiest way to do it fork out a couple hundred bux and just send the car to a proper detailer and get it done.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Very true Andy. If someone has a specific question then ask away. But if I see another question asking "How do I polish my car?", I'll toss myself off a cliff.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
I just got some ANZ Hyper Black rims and was wanting to know what you guys recommend for cleaning and polishing them.

I had a look in the local repco but wasnt sure what to get being that meguiars alone had 5 different types of cleaning products designed for rims and a couple of different ones aimed at polishing.

Cheers.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I just got some ANZ Hyper Black rims and was wanting to know what you guys recommend for cleaning and polishing them.

I had a look in the local repco but wasnt sure what to get being that meguiars alone had 5 different types of cleaning products designed for rims and a couple of different ones aimed at polishing.

Cheers.

What sort of finish do the wheels have? Billet wheels come up great with a product like Autosol. But Autosol is an abrasive product and wheels which have a clear coat finish (example my VT Calais international wheels) can end up with fine scratches. If your wheels have a clear coat then you should simple clean them and apply a wax or sealant the same as you should to your paint work. Wheels cop and lot of heat and grime so I recommend a sealant as it is generally longer lasting than a wax.

Now as far as cleaning goes I personally use Meguiar's Wheel Brightener which is a 1 gallon bottle of concentrate you mix up and part of their Professional 'Detailer' range. Not something you can buy in a store. However you can still buy the same stuff in stores under the name Meguiars Hot Rims which comes in a 700ml pink spray bottle. It's the same as the professional stuff but already diluted down. I've used it and it works great at removing baked on brake dust. Just rinse wheels. spray on, let soak for 30 seconds, agitate with a soft bristled brush and then rinse off. I take the wheels off the car and do the inside as well.

At nearly $20 per bottle it's not cheap. But I've used cheap products like Polyglaze wheel cleaner and I honestly think my urine could clean better than that rubbish.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ah ok cool. I think they are clear coated so I will stick away from the polish. Is there any sealant that you recommend or will any one do the trick?

I saw the Meguiars Hot Rims stuff along with a heap of other Meguiars rim cleaners but wasnt sure what to get as I didnt want to risk damaging the finish. I saw one called "Meguiars non-acid rim cleaner" would that be a safer option or is hot rims the way to go?

Also, one of the rims has a few scratches on it. Would anyone know where I could get some touch up paint to match? I have done some googling but havent had any luck.

Cheers for your help scooter.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I've never used the non acid wheel cleaner so I can't really comment. The Hot rims stuff is perfectly safe as long as you follow the instructions.

As far as I know there is no touch up paint available for alloy wheels.

For sealants I suggest you visit the site sponsor 'Car Care Products'. I've bought through them and are great to deal with and can help with specifics. Personally I've got some Meguiars #26 Hi Tech yellow paste wax and works well. It's a mix of synthetic sealant and carauba wax.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ah ok cool, I ended up buying the non-acid stuff its called "Non-Acid Hot Rims" so same sorta stuff I guess but it worked a charm.

Ok cool, I will check it out. Thanks for your help :)