Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diagnostic help. - V6 cut out.

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
Was driving my 2003 V6 Acclaim Wagon down the freeway tonight, when the engine unexpectedly cut out. Sputtered a little, felt like it had run out of fuel. Once it had stopped, I was unable to start it again, cranking produced a few firings, but it would not run. Fuel was a bit low, (100KM DTE) so I tried adding another 8L. No difference. Diagnostic mode showed 15L in the tank, so I doubt it was actually out of fuel.

The engine until now has been regularly serviced, and despite 300 000 KM on the clock was running beautifully. I changed the plugs and leads a few months ago.

Called a tow truck and $165 later the car is back home. Put the key in and it started perfectly. Can't fault it at all.

I am now stuck with a car that is working perfectly, but I am too scared to
drive it anywhere.

Anyone want to take a punt at what would be the cause, and how I can diagnose it for sure?

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
No one has any ideas?

OK, here is my plan:

1. With the can parked at home, remove the fuel pump relay, obtain a suitable tool, and unclip the fuel return line. Plug the relay in, and check that fuel flows out into some sort of container. Make sure I am familiar with this procedure.
2. If and when the car stops again, try the same. If it fails. swap the relay with a headlight one to eliminate that as a fault.
3. At this point, if there is not flow, I can be pretty sure the fault is a defunct fuel pump, so hopefully bashing the tank will get it to run again.
4. If bashing the tank does not get the pump to run, get towed.
5. Replace the fuel pump at home.
6. If fuel was flowing in #2, then swap over the CAS, check and disconnect/clean/reconnect any suspect connections.

Am I on the right track?

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
You're on the right path

Few things stop an ecotec dead, but a faulty CAS will definitely do it (and then often fire up later once cooled).

Have you checked for fault codes? that would be my first stop.

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
I checked for any fault flags via the trip computer, but all zeros. Not exactly sure what that tells me anyway.

Would a CAS failure throw on the CEL? It stayed off.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
fault codes via trip computer are only dash fault codes, not engine fault codes. And no, CAS will often not throw the CEL. There is a guy on here that sells the cables and software to get the codes...i just cant remember his username!

Aaron6.93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Calais L67
fault codes via trip computer are only dash fault codes, not engine fault codes. And no, CAS will often not throw the CEL. There is a guy on here that sells the cables and software to get the codes...i just cant remember his username!

I think you may be talking about TazzI?? Jump on to Envyous Customs - Holden Commodore Diagnostic Software grab an ALDL cable and Advanced Engine Diagnostics.... This software will display DTC's (current and history) and allow you to clear them... That being said, I would look at the CAS or the DFI module.... I have been in your exact situation before TWICE!! One time was the CAS, other was the DFI. Serves me right though, they are directly linked to each other and in hindsight I should have replaced them both at the same time, CAS ~$50, genuine DFI + coils ~$220. But first, best to grab an ALDL cable and software check DTC's, borrow a known working DFI module (very easy to swap out) and try the splashy water trick on the CAS (run engine till it dies, crank engine... Won't start? Splash water on the CAS. Crank again... If starts, probably CAS)

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
OK, I have ordered an ALDL cable. So, far, after talking to quite a few people and doing some research, my best guesses are:

Fuel pump: 55%
CAS: 20%
DFI: 10%
Fuel pump relay: 5%
Something else: 10%

Hopefully I can narrow this down a bit.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
crank angle sensor is the highest probable issue start it and let it heat up till it dies poor cold water over the cas and see if it starts if so replace it