Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between 687F and F143

redhot.

NA, Open Diff, Auto
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
G'day all,

Can anyone tell me the difference between those two red paint codes listed in subject title. The reason is because I'm just trying to do some research because I'm going to look at buying a 2002 vy s and swapping some panels onto my car but I'm not sure what paint code has. Hopefully he has the same paint code as me but on the off chance he doesn't, how much different do these two reds look together?

Cheers for the help.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
they are the same paint codes, just changed the name to make it seem new for he new models. the only thing is, a commodore from 1998 is going to be in a single stage direct gloss red, and a 2008 is going to be in a basecoat clearcoat, they changed it so the paint work wouldnt fade as much and go chalky (australian sun is unforgiving).

im not exactly sure what date they change to base clear but reds will fade differently anyway, the chance that the donor car will be the same shade yours is is slim, especially if the cars paint work has been refinished... bring a piece of fine sand paper and rub a spot that dosent show, white dust means clearcoat, red dust means single stage...

redhot.

NA, Open Diff, Auto
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Thank you for the detailed right up!
It's true what you say about the paint fading at different stages, I haven't actually seen the car yet but the pictures looks fairly promising.
Thanks again for the reply.