Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference with 3/4" & 7/8" 2011 VE SS V II Sedan

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Looking at adding extractors to my 3" Walkinshaw system now branded (manta) and want to know the difference in these sizes? I did owna VF LS3 6.2L in the past and loved the stock headers it had were they 3/4"?

Also will i have to buy new connecting pipes as the ones i have hooked up to the stock cats and 3" catback has the cone type flange to suit the stock cats or can they just chop it and weld a flat flange?

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Unless it’s blown or charged, stick with the 1 n 3/4” pipes - the benefits to be gained with an N/A from fitting 1 n 7/8” headers are minimal

Further, the 1 n 7/8” headers will be a wallet lightening experience of the highest order

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
1 7/8" and 1 3/4" are the same price. Will you feel a difference? Not unless you are pushing big numbers in HP.

It's unusual that the cat back has cone flanges, the cone on the back of the cat is just a gasket and can be removed to fit a flat gasket, so aftermarket cat backs have a flat flange. It will depend on the brand you get as to whether it will bolt straight up to the cat back, most headers move the cat position back and it changes where the join is. You will probably have to have the Y section modified to suit if it has the cone flanges as the aftermarket cats will have a flat flange.

The wallet lightening experience will be in the fitting charge, not the price of the parts.