Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Different kind of VY shudder

micko68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Gday all. I've searched the forums for "shudder" and only found posts about a consistent shudder at low revs. I've got something different.

I've got an 03 VY wagon and the issue, that my mechanic doesn't really understand and the car yard won't admit is an issue, is a brief shudder (exactly like driving over a short cattle grid) when I start the engine and drive about 10 metres. To replicate I have to switch off the ignition, start the engine again and drive 10m. Not enough to just stop the car and move off again, have to kill and restart the engine. And it happens every time. My mechanic thought maybe it was the torque converter but car yard don't agree and reckon every VY has it. I can't believe this, it feels so bloody wrong. You can feel it from the passenger seat as well. Can't really tell where it comes from, just feels like a cattle grid.

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has any experience or ideas with this issue. Thanks a lot.
Mick

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Aaron6.93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Calais L67
The ABS self test can be described as a momentary shudder/vibration upon moving off from a stationary position for the first time after starting the engine. You may also feel a vibration in the steering wheel. This is normal, the ABS system is running a self test to ensure all it's components are working correctly, if they are not, the ABS fault animation will appear on the lcd. If you search for ABS self test you should probably find something on it.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Ive never ever heard of this. good info

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
My VY doesn't do this.
It's a 2004 model though. Maybe the series II has a different abs system.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Mine does is Everytime you start it and move off.. It's about 2 seconds and it's gone..mine is a series 1 and it's more like a vibration not a shudder

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
My series 2 makes the noise from the ABS unit when performing its self test but I don't feel anything. In any case I was not alarmed when I noticed it the first time as just about every other car from different manufacturers I've driven do the same thing.

micko68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Thanks a lot for the replies guys, really appreciate the detailed info Aaron. Mr Calais, true it is more of a vibration than a shudder. Anyway one less thing to worry about. Beauty, thanks again.