Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

distributor types

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
I've been searching this forum and the intenet in general trying to figure out the difference between hei and electronic distributors.

Right now i have a points distributor on my 253 and its a piece of crap. From what i've read i've also gotten the impression that a hei and electronic distributor are the same thing?

Yeah basically i'm wondering what type of distributor i should get to replace my current one. There are heaps on ebay but not too many second hand ones. I dont feel like paying $100+ for one so i need to know exactly what i'm looking for.

Thanks guys

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Yeah HEI and electronic are pretty much the same unless your one these anal retentive assholes.
I have heard those MSD (i think their MSD) are fakes, and people are having good and bad results. Not sure what electronic dizzy's are available for a 253, but if a 308 one fits you shouldnt find a problem getting one. Sorry cant be more help.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah thats pretty helpful thanks. From what i read the retentive assholes would be refering to the hei having the coil built into the cap and electronic having the coil seperate? i dunno exactly though. I want one without the coil in it cause ive obviously already got the coil. I think 253/308 distributors are all the same as well. If i can grab a blue/black distributor for under 50 bucks i'd be cheering.

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
Well
HEI means High Energy Ignition,this uses an ignition coil that has a higher primary current thus giving a higher high tension voltage (bigger spark) and an electonic dissy module
MSD i think is Multiple Spark Ignition,this from memory gives muliple sparks not just one per cylinder,
CDI means Capacitor Discharge Ignition,not seen much these days can be electonic or points(had one on my old HK and apparently had a lethal boot):rip:
and elctronic ignition is a balast ignition system that has a module instead of contact points.
No doubt if i'm wrong someone will point it out :whistling
Phillip :wax:

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
you wont get anything decent for under $100.00 i sell them brand new for $350.00, i wouldn't buy anything cheap or youll buy problems

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
nah im just chasing a second hand standard blue 253/308 dizzy to replace what i got. its no race engine in my car

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
i have done an electonic conversion a couple of times and you'll be amazed by the difference, the dizzys i sell are $350 two wires to connect, easy as, better fuel economy better idle easier to rev easier cold start its worth the money if its a daily, would stay away from any twin point set ups or anything other than the standard or a decent elec set up. would give you the one i've got lying around however i just had a look at it and the shaft is cracked, i knew there was reason i replaced it. :thumbsup:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
HEI and an electronic distributor usually go together, but you can have hei using a points distributor.

The electronic distributor means that the distributor gets its impulse to trigger the coil from an electrical magnetic non contact source and uses a sophisticated module to fire the coil at the right instant for a controlled time period........as opposed to the mechanical distributor where the coil is simply fired by the mechanical activation of the points.
The ignition coil used will determine the energy of the spark.

Id suggest, you just get the bosch electronic dizzy and matching coil from a later model holden v8, VH-VK etc. These are typically a little harder to find(and hence more expensive) than the same thing in the 6cyl version.
You also need the matching plug leads as the dizzy cap has male connectors.

If you just use your existing ignition coil, you'll have exactly the same energy of spark as before, but it should be better controlled. You may also experience problems operating the dizzy if you get its power feed from the +ve of the old coil, as your coil will be still with the resistor wire set up(you need to modify this with a high energy coil) and the overall voltage available to both coil and dizzy will possibly drop to low a value when both items are consuming current from this wire.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok still looking around and came across this
dizzy

3 year warranty and all that it cant be that bad right? my car isnt a race machine im just sick of the points dizzy

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
ok still looking around and came across this
dizzy

3 year warranty and all that it cant be that bad right? my car isnt a race machine im just sick of the points dizzy

It should be better then points hands down, just remember some of them are different lengths, i think this only matters with performance manifolds though. Also with a 3 year warranty (check terms and conditions) it should be alright.
One thing to add, most tachos from points ignition cars cant handle a HEI dizzy and can eventually burn out the tacho, this will only effect the original tacho not aftermarket ones, there is a fix to this but i cant remember it but any good auto lec should no or do a search.