Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY: ECU Scantools/Data Cables

bcjohno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec gen3
whats the best software and can i use the vn lead with a different plug to run a vr?

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
Hi guys, sorry to bump a very old dead thread,

Is anyone on the forums still selling the ALDL to USB or Serial cables for VT?
I have all the components to make one, I just want something more neat and professional.

If not, I was going to buy this ALDL -> USB adaptor. has anyone previously had any issues with this product or seller?

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

typicalaussiebloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT II Executive station wagon
I too am gonna add to this old thread, though my story is different.

My brother wanted me to build an ALDL cable so he can diagnose my VT Commodore and so I have built the given circuit in this thread that involves the ATMEGA8 chip and MAX232 chip, but there are some grey areas with that circuit. Firstly and most importantly, what is the frequency of the crystal that connects between pins 7 and 8 on the ATMEGA8 chip??? And is the frequency value of the crystal universal for all Commodores or does it vary for different models? I have also gotten the OBDII plug as well but am unsure of the pin connections, does anyone know which connects to what pin?

If anyone who has built the ATMEGA8 version of the circuit can help me I would most appreciate it.

Cheers
Troy

j_ds_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS T4
It's a bit late for an answer, but at least I can help regarding the pinning : 4/5 is ground, 9 is data.

But OTOH, that info's easy to find, so I wonder how much (if any) effort you put into this ... ?

Joe.