Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY muffler install?

jonnydico

Reaction score
anyone know if it is possible to replace final muffler/resonator yourself. Do I just buy a new one and undo the Uclamp or does it need to be welded, trying to find a tread on forum no luck. It is a V6 VP

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
I know on my VR v6, and mst other exhausts it will need welding. That is ceasier said than done. Im as ticketed welder, and when I went to replace my rear resi with a hotdog I couldnt get the bolts out of the rear flange, and even after grinding the heads of them back they are still completely stuck. I say leave it to an exhaust shop. Its not worth the stress and hassle.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If you have looked and it definitely has the 'U' clamp, that will probably be a bitch to change. Usually the muffler pipe has corroded onto the intermediate pipe. You may be lucky and have it slip off easily. You may have to replace the 'U' clamp as well because they corrode around the threads and can break when reinstalled. It depends on the condition though.

At some point (not sure which model) the rear muffler joint was changed to a flange secured with (2) bolts (assuming that the system hasn't been replaced with a different type to that fitted by the factory). That type will be much easier but you will likely need a new gasket. The surface of the flange that is staying with the car should be clean and flat. Sometimes that is corroded enough that sealant is also required.

The liberal application of penetrating oil (CRC, WD-40) to the joint and bolts or nuts a few hours prior to starting will help.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Forget undoing rusty bolts. They'll either take forever or seize and shear off anyway. I actually do the latter a fair bit as it's safer the weilding a 4" grinder under a car lol.

The U clamps are awesome on install, but an absolute samuel.l jackson mother-f*cker to remove. i mean the clamp is the easy bit, but usually the outer pipe crushes onto the inner and makes it hard to seperate. a chain cutter or grinder is the way to go here.

Long story short, for the sake of $50 at the exhaust shop, let them do it.

jonnydico

Reaction score
thanks, I think I will go the way of the exhaust shop,
cheers

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've replaced mine a few times, I just cut them out and weld a new one in and leave the U bolt where it was. The amount of exhaust pipe I've cut and welded lately replacing a muffler must be down to a 10 minute job. I agree laying under a car with a grinder or plasma cutter is not all that good:p especaily next to fuel lines so I bought a chinese reciprocating saw for those kind of jobs. I still dont understand how come plasma cutters can cut holes in concrete floors from quite a distance away :p

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
i took mine off before n it was easy as.. take the U clampp bolts off n i hit it with those rubber hammers upwards ofcourse n it popped out..n installing it,its a bit harder but all together took me 30mins :)