Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Sorry Just my Thoughts please don't take it the wrong way

Yellow does not look right on car... Just looks like a lemon
Sorry but i can't understand why people paint there cars yellow

wilso

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VN Executive Wagon
Now, im just curious and i dont know if anyones asked this yet but when you said "leave it for 30=60 days" does that mean you cant drive it in that time? or will it not matter?

The 30 to 60 days is to do with the paint still curing, you dont want to polish it within this time frame else you might damage all your hard work. Yes you can still drive it in this period.

benoit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6/ vr ss
when i get the chance i'm going to repaint the missis caddy roof and give it a go. one problem i hate sanding

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Hey. Mate and I gonna give this a try on my VS. Can't wait.

Just a few questions,

1. Can the primer be rolled on also?

2. How long on average did it take to sand, say, the bonnet each coat?

3. I know it's been said before, but just to clarify, I am alright to drive with the panels on in between coats? Don't really wanna buy 4 new doors just to chuck them out in the end.

Cheers mate, and good on you for bringing light to this method on this forum.

wilso

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VN Executive Wagon
1. Can the primer be rolled on also?
2. How long on average did it take to sand, say, the bonnet each coat?
3. I know it's been said before, but just to clarify, I am alright to drive with the panels on in between coats? Don't really wanna buy 4 new doors just to chuck them out in the end.

1. I didn't use primer, so cant say for sure. I've heard from other people doing this method that the Brightside brand primer can be rolled on.

2. The sanding time really depends on how good/bad the previous coat was and also what grade sandpaper your using. Take for instance you got heaps of orange peel in the coat, its going to take heaps of time to sand all the peel out properly else future coats will show all the blemishes. As a guess I probably took around 40-60 mins for the bonnet each time, give or take.

3. Yes of course you can drive in between coats, but you'll probably end up with more work as you'll have bird crap, stone chips, road grime etc to deal with.

Also on a side note, its been 2 years since I painted the wagon. I should try and get a pic up of how it looks after a wash and wax. Paint is still going strong, just have to keep the wax on it!

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
Hmm.. This looks interesting, I have a VR that needs the tops painted(bonnet, roof, boot).
Got quoted around $330 per panel at my local spray shop, but this way might work out a lot cheaper. :)

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
Also on a side note, its been 2 years since I painted the wagon. I should try and get a pic up of how it looks after a wash and wax. Paint is still going strong, just have to keep the wax on it!

Good choice with the enamel paint, easy to repair little stone chips and scuffs..

Did you bare metal sand it?

nothing

what's this for ?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS Series 2
This is an awesome thread, i can't believe it, It turned out so good. LOL.

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
1. I didn't use primer, so cant say for sure. I've heard from other people doing this method that the Brightside brand primer can be rolled on.

2. The sanding time really depends on how good/bad the previous coat was and also what grade sandpaper your using. Take for instance you got heaps of orange peel in the coat, its going to take heaps of time to sand all the peel out properly else future coats will show all the blemishes. As a guess I probably took around 40-60 mins for the bonnet each time, give or take.

3. Yes of course you can drive in between coats, but you'll probably end up with more work as you'll have bird crap, stone chips, road grime etc to deal with.

may be a stupid question but why do u have to keep waxing it? will it peel or something if you dont?

but good to heaar that its still going strong, still cant believe that someone did this