Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

russellvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Super6 S
Yeah Wilso you are a champ mate. I plan on doing this soon.
I would like to hear from someone who has used the new toplac instead of the old brightside? Or anyone that has talked to the manufacturer international about the differences?

russellvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Super6 S
I realised the new toplac is not advertised as being tough, and it doesn't mention being a polyurethane anymore.
However I found this stuff online called aquacote, which I think may be similar to brightside in some ways.
Product Information Pages
Any opinons?

wilso

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VN Executive Wagon
I realised the new toplac is not advertised as being tough, and it doesn't mention being a polyurethane anymore.
However I found this stuff online called aquacote, which I think may be similar to brightside in some ways.
Product Information Pages
Any opinons?

Hard to say Russell, get a tin and try it using the method, then I guess it comes down to how well it handles the elements (rain, sun etc).

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
Im painting my VL white with toplac, which is apparently the same paint as brightside but they changed the name, that's according to the guy i bought the paint off anyway.
Im onto my 3rd coat on my boot and its going well but there are black strokes on the paint, it's hard to explain, i thinned down the paint more thinking that would help but it hasn't, then i thought that i might have been doing my coats to thin? Can someone help me please.

3rd coat (actually looks good on pics but hopefully you can see the black bits!)
IMG_0465.jpg

3rdcoatshine.jpg

Last edited:

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
Looks like the original colour has come through. White will show up deeper colours easily so a couple more coats should fix your problem.

Using a primer before painting is a good idea (especially for lighter colours). Also use good quality brushes / rollers as some cheap brushes have a dye in the bristles which can bleed out with thinners.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Im painting my VL white with toplac, which is apparently the same paint as brightside but they changed the name, that's according to the guy i bought the paint off anyway.
Im onto my 3rd coat on my boot and its going well but there are black strokes on the paint, it's hard to explain, i thinned down the paint more thinking that would help but it hasn't, then i thought that i might have been doing my coats to thin? Can someone help me please.

3rd coat (actually looks good on pics but hopefully you can see the black bits!)

Prob a combination of colour coming through, slightly too thin coats and maybe over aggresive sanding?
You're only on coat 3 and your meant to do like 8 so i think it should come good.

Where did you get your paint from mate? Who was the reseller?

aZk.

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
Looks like the original colour has come through. White will show up deeper colours easily so a couple more coats should fix your problem.

Using a primer before painting is a good idea (especially for lighter colours). Also use good quality brushes / rollers as some cheap brushes have a dye in the bristles which can bleed out with thinners.

Im using exactly the same brushes/rollers as wilso (The creator of this thread).
Yeah i will do a few more coats.

Prob a combination of colour coming through, slightly too thin coats and maybe over aggresive sanding?
You're only on coat 3 and your meant to do like 8 so i think it should come good.

Where did you get your paint from mate? Who was the reseller?

aZk.

Yeah i think a few more coats should fix my problem! Im using Toplac which isn't what wilso used but it's apparently the same.(That's what the guy in the paint store said!), I phoned around trying to find someone who still had some stock left over of International Brightside but had no success so thought id give Toplac a go!So far so good! i got the paint from a marine paint store in Frankston, but any stores that originally stocked Brightside should now stock Toplac. I will let you guys know how my painting goes with more pics when i get closer to finishing!

blzbub666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
Im assuming this would be easy to do in a matte finish? Would you need a matte paint or just not bother sanding?