Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do fuel system cleaners restore horsepower?

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Interesting video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=efIJHf7h5kI

It does for this car ...6 horsepower increase for £5, after letting it run for a week to clean

lots of people say it can dislodge gunk and leave it in your injectors though...or is this an old myth?

Thoughts?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Use it every 6 months and you shouldn't really get a significant build up of carbon/gunk. Some owners swear that using 98 octane all the time keeps their fuel systems clean and performing well.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
lots of people say it can dislodge gunk and leave it in your injectors though...or is this an old myth?

Thoughts?

TBH couldn't be bothered with the video, seen way too much garbage in my life to watch another, but entertaining this thought for a minute, gunk, gets into your fuel tank, it gets past the main filter???, and lodges into the injector filter?
Is this correct?
IMO, the gunk, as you call it, is gum residue from the fuel, a normal factor of life, the cheaper the fuel, the worse the gunk... and yes, the cleaners do keep the gunk down, the cleaners are usually low concentration standard in premium fuels...

claydog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE COMMODORE SSV
Didn't watch the youtube video either.
I use Fuel Doctor" The best stuff I have come accross so far".on diesel for my Prado and petrol for SSV, Etecs on my boat, even use it in mower fuel.
regular filter changes and empty filter contents into a white ice cream container for inspection.

Doesnt change hosepower but.

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
If anyone watched the video they got 6 horsepower from running the fuel system cleaner in a 21 year old car.

It was done by Fifth Gear, not a company selling the product.

Total cost six pounds. Multiple dyno tests before and after (8 I think, and took into consideration air temps etc. on a 5 cylinder VW) also tested, the effects of changing: oil and filter, system cleaner, spark plugs and leads.

Did add horsepower but.