Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do my VE brakes need replacing

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
Hey all, over the last few weeks I've noticed my brakes shudder under heavy load. Mainly when going down a decent sized hill or braking fairly hard. Before I take it in and get the mechanics to look at it I thought I would ask the question. I'm more than comfortable changing the discs but would feel bad taking It in and then getting the mechanic not to do the work. Any thoughts would be great.

atomic maloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve maloo
They may not need replacing just machining the disc would fix it

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Skim the rotors and new pads. Wouldn't bother reusing the old pads as the warping can easily cause hot spots etc

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
As said heat causes runout in the rotors and those high spots result in the shudder youre feeling.

Skimming the rotors will get rid of the runout. If your pads arent that old they can sand the face off to give a new flat surface again otherwise just fit new pads.

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
So would it be worth replacing the rotors, I thought machining them would hit make them thinner making them more susceptible to warping. Will take them in to the mechanic on Monday. Thanks guys

vz_sv6_owner1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS storm ute
In theory you are correct but all rotors have a wear limit(minimum thickness) of the rotors before they must be replaced.

In saying that whenever you skim the rotors it is advisable that you replace the pads regardless of wear on the existing pads. This will give even brake pad wear and better braking

I make a habit of it whenever I replace/skim the rotors of the heavy vehicles that I work on every day

Last edited:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
So would it be worth replacing the rotors, I thought machining them would hit make them thinner making them more susceptible to warping. Will take them in to the mechanic on Monday. Thanks guys

Skimming takes less than 1mm off in most cases depending on how bad the runout is.