Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do You Own Fish??...

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
I had tropical fish a few years back great hobby to get into there so relaxing to watch. VjamesY sorry but do you find your tank to loud to sleep to? I would love to set up a new tank in my room but just think it would be way to noisy to sleep to.

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
I used to have mine next to my bed.. It wasn't noisy at all.. As noisy as a Desktop PC.

Then I added a bubbler..Which gave off a bad vibrating noise. (Think phone on vibrate constantly being called..)

I ended up making a little wooden box to hold the bubbler down, which worked great, and got rid of any noise.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
We have heaps of fish, the big tank is full of tropicals- gouramis, shaks, tiger barbs, silver dollars and angels. My son has a small tank in his room with his pet oscar, bloody big mean thing that is it started off tiny and docile in the tropical fish tank then started to grow into a monster and one day we put in a fighting fish and the bastard bit its head off lol so now its been sent to solatary confinement in my sons room its such a pig of a thing i'm always cleaning the tank because it does the biggest fish turds I ever seen. Daughter has a fighting fish that lives in a vase and we have goldfish that live in a wine barrel water feature out the front of our house.

cracker

Reaction score
have a festae, used to be in a tank with about 5 other fish, and decided to eat them.

so removed him and put him in his own bigger tank, and put a couple of bigger fish in there thinking he would calm down, but he ate the bigger fish aswel. so now is in a bigger tank by himself.

festaes are great! i just brought a baby about 1-2" long female

iv got a 6x1x1 with a 1200L hour ehiem 1200L hour power head
its got
wild caught pair convicts 3-4"
pair of blue acaras yellow edge 4"
raindow cichlid 5"
3 red forest jewels 3"
1 red devil 4"
2 salivini cihchlids 1-2"
1 fenestratum about 5"
1 jack dempsy 5-6"
4" sucking catfish
6" tandus catfish
2" convict throw back type thing( its related to convicts)
and a orange/white flower horn

then iv got
2x1.5" tank with a red/blue male flower horn

and a 4x1x1 with a 12" female dovii and 7" male
as far as aggression goes they are off the scale, growing to around 2 foot and with half " teeth, the only thing that iv been able to get the male to live with is the much larger female and even then they still beat each other up time to time.

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
I had tropical fish a few years back great hobby to get into there so relaxing to watch. VjamesY sorry but do you find your tank to loud to sleep to? I would love to set up a new tank in my room but just think it would be way to noisy to sleep to.

Mate I hated it the first few nights when I was little, but I just got used to it. Its a bit weird but its kind of calming listening to the water, I have no problems with it at all.
Its great having a tank in my room, it acts similar to an alarm clock, I have to wake up around 5ish, so the light(automatic power point timer whatever) from the fishtank wakes me up, I watch the fish for about 15 min every morning.

I have mates that every time they stay over, rip the damn filter out of the wall. It drives them insane hahaha

MY mate used to have a tank in his room and he bought this expensive filter that was almost silent, that worked well for him. Should try that if your not on to much of a budget.

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Heres a video of my oscar eating a worm... im pretty impressed he's already pretty much eating outta my hand.. after only 2 days...

YouTube - Baby Oscar eating a Worm

That is an cool oscar you got their mate.

Thats crazy after two days. I have some baby Australian bass which I taught to eat out of my hand, it took a while though.

The big wild bass I have in my garage tank, if I even put my fingers close to the water edge they would jump out and nip at it. I do intimidate them by holding crickets and worms just out of the water which they go mental for. They are damn aggressive fish, they will strike anything closely resembling food.

Ill try and post a video of them feeding (Ive never posted a video on youtube before so might take a while)

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Hey all I'm looking at starting a tropical setup and after some advice on part costs. I'm picking up a 4ft tank off my mate for nothing, however will need to buy/build a stand for it. I'm probably going to buy the rest of the stuff off another mate who is converting his aquarium into a snake enclosure. I'd be looking at grabbing the filter, heater, thermometer etc off him. We both got no idea what its all worth, and he suggested $250 for all the bits. Does this sound like a good price?

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
yeah i bought a fish earlier today i dont know what kind it is.

zyeqx.jpg