Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does the VE water pump have some sort of drain hole or release valve?

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (V-Series) Omega with alloy wheels & rear spoil
I have a 2006 Omega and it started leaking coolant from behind the water pump. I could not see exactly where as the pulley is in the way.

My question is: Does the VE water pump have a drain hole or release valve? I have slightly over filled the coolant reservoir and the pump leaked coolant, but now that the reservoir level on the correct (FULL) level, the leaks seemed to have stopped.

It this maybe just a co-incidence or does the water pump have a release valve of some sort?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No it doesnt. Either the shaft seal has failed or the rubber seals in the spout above the water pump have failed. (the alloy section that the coolant cap screws onto).

It may only leak under certain conditions so keep an eye on your levels.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
unless they changed the design in the ve spec, my vz had the weep hole to indicate seepage past the bearing,

anywhich way, unless its a gasket, up for a water pump

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank guys for the repsonse. I will just have to take the pully off and see where the cool

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Pretty safe to say its the pump I will be very surprised if its not.

Not safe at all as the seals in the spout above the pump are far more common. Because they leak down past the pump people commonly make the mistake of thinking the pump is leaking.

Not saying it's impossible for the pump to leak, just that it's less common than the seals above.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Not safe at all as the seals in the spout above the pump are far more common. Because they leak down past the pump people commonly make the mistake of thinking the pump is leaking.

Not saying it's impossible for the pump to leak, just that it's less common than the seals above.
Ain't herd about the seal leaking but only going on the op saying its behind the water pump not the top of it I have a vz and it **** a water pump at 95 Kay and my mate that worked at Holden at the time said there a commen fault on the alloytec as he does them all the time at work but yeah ya rite it could be the spout but I still stand by my first moment haha will be interesting to see who guessed the problem now lol

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Pumps are common, however as stated above, the coolant pipe oring seals are more common.
Best to do all three as they can be had cheap, and since the coolant will be drained anyways...

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you everyone for your input.

I replaced the waterpump yesterday, but not the coolant pipe Oring seals. It seems that the water pump shaft seal has gone.

[/IMG] DSC04907.jpgDSC04908.jpg

It was a fairly easy job until I snapped one of the water pump bolts. Recommended torque is 10Nm and it snapped at 8Nm. Anyway it is all done and I also changed the fan belt whilst the pump was off.