Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does this sound like a VS starter motor issue?

existentialist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Hi guys,

Please have a listen to the sound file and tell me what you think it is.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/mmil6/starting.wav

I want to be absolutely certain that a new starter motor will fix the issue. Sometimes I get stuck as the battery is completely exhausted attempting to start the car.

A while ago I got stuck on Mt Buller (the fuel pump died) and with a jumpstart from a truck, I kept cranking it until smoke started coming out of bonnet - could this be the cause of the starter motor failure? Or is it just the fact that it's done 260,000 km?

Also, you can buy starter motors pretty cheap off ebay - whats a reasonable amount to pay for labour to have it changed over?

Cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As above.....the smoke was probably from the bad cables overheating. If the cables are not in good order (also terminals) a new starter will make no difference at all so I'd make sure they are OK first.

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
with a jumpstart from a truck, I kept cranking it until smoke started coming out of bonnet

thats probably the cause...the truck might have been running i higher voltage battery?? maybe a 24V and fried yours, and where exactly was the steam coming from underneath the bonnet? if you can get your hands on a portable jumpstarter try that if the car starts fine you know its your battery, and from the sound of the clip its the battery.

i dont know if hako remembers but a while ago i asked him the same question?? lol problem solved