Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does wheel size effect speed??

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
i dont believe holden can recalibrate it .... not if it has more than 12 kilometres on it. i may be wrong though.

thats only the kilomteres they can't adjust.
they'll be able to correct the speedo cos its just a tweak of the software.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
thats only the kilomteres they can't adjust.
they'll be able to correct the speedo cos its just a tweak of the software.

but there no needs to if you go 15's to 19's the speed DOESN"T change at all, not 1km, nothing.

trust me I've spend many hours in my wheel shop asking questions and i've run these wheels and double checked with the GPS speedo

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
Anyone know how much Holden charge for recalibration of the speedo?

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
as for acceleration you may find your car slightly slower, as bigger wheels usually mean more weight (of course depending on wheels its quite a broad statement) and 10kgs weight difference can end up being quite a difference. I had 18's on my VP and it goes a lot (can actually feel the difference) better with 15's on I think they were about 10kgs difference per wheel. theres some sort of calculator on the net that can tell you how much 10kgs is when its rotating or somewhat.

as for the speedo, it'll be out by bugger all but you can get speedo pulse changers or something that you can change the pulse outputted by the gearbox going to the speedo.

harvs01

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6, with 19' VY Maloo Mags
I have a sv6 std rims were 17" have now got 18"s and the speedo is 2k out. eg i go 70 by speedo the actual speed is 68. as test through the check you speed things they have on the freeway's

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I have a sv6 std rims were 17" have now got 18"s and the speedo is 2k out. eg i go 70 by speedo the actual speed is 68. as test through the check you speed things they have on the freeway's

it prob was out by 2kms with 17's too.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
mine vs ute came stock with 16's ive now got 18s with low profiles does that mean my speedo could be slightly out?

ever so slightly prob un-noticable.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
as for acceleration you may find your car slightly slower, as bigger wheels usually mean more weight (of course depending on wheels its quite a broad statement) and 10kgs weight difference can end up being quite a difference. I had 18's on my VP and it goes a lot (can actually feel the difference) better with 15's on I think they were about 10kgs difference per wheel. theres some sort of calculator on the net that can tell you how much 10kgs is when its rotating or somewhat.

as for the speedo, it'll be out by bugger all but you can get speedo pulse changers or something that you can change the pulse outputted by the gearbox going to the speedo.

with the walkinshaw clubby its 3 seconds quicker around a track with 20's over the standard 22'' rims

cntcm3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
ive got 19's on my SV6 n my speedo hasnt changed, i checked it against my sat nav