Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doing a VS Engine Swap

nugatory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1 Station Wagon
Ok I'm doing an Engine Swap from a VS Series 1 Executive Wagon to a VS Series 1 Executive Wagon. So far I've:

removed the radiator, removed all hoses, heater tap etc
taken off the drive belt
undone the power steering
dropped the power steering rack
undone the manifold bolts
undone the aircon compressor
undone the crossmember bolts
undone the gearbox mount
dropped the tailshaft
undone harness at engine fuse and undone earth lead
threaded all the wiring through the firewall from the computer
undone speed sensor, backup switch
undone transmission linkage
dropped all the oils (engine, transmission)
cleaned and painted transmission pan
put on new transmission seal

My car doesn't have bolts at the Catylic Convertor. It seems an exhaust shop has removed this section altogether and rewelded it all in one peice - which means I can't drop the front exhaust entirely. It's just hanging at the moment from where I dropped it at the rubber mounts at the auto. Is this going to be a problem when I put the box back in?

The doner car I've got, I've also done all the above to it, so they're both ready for the swap. The doner car does have bolts to undo the catalyc convertor but I'm not gonna bother removing them to remove a motor.

In the VS Manual it says just hook the engine crane up to engine lifting points located at rear right side and front left side, but my car is missing these... Where should I hook up the chain to the motor if I'm missing these? I'm guessing there should be boltholes where these lifting points are?

Any other tips or a reference to a FAQ on this site would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
Hey mate
Ive done the same thing on my brothers car, we didnt remove the exhaust at all apart from the extractors, was a bit of a pain getting it out but probly if you zippy tied it out of the way youll be alright.
Also youll want to remove the gearbox xmember completely as you have to drop the back end of the gearbox to get the whole thing out.
As for the lifting points there are bolt holes there so just find some bolts that will fit and wrap chain around them, keeping in mind that this will stuff the bolts so make sure you either dont need them or have got some more lined up
hope this helps

nugatory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1 Station Wagon
I've just completed the engine swap today. I bought one of those supercheap engine cranes. Pain in the butt to manuever through mud though with all this rain we been having, but it was good enough to give us enough time to do the swap, then it absolutely bucketed down, then I waited until 2 am for all the rain to stop, then went down and started on the tailshaft bolts, and left the manifold and powersteering bolts till last.

Motor turned over and started first go which was great because it was my first swap and also the first time I've done all the work myself except for the actual hoisting.

New motor is a hoot, I think I got onto a really good block but I still have to change over the thermostat housing, get a new water pump etc coz the old ones look ratty.

I find a complete K frame drop is the best way to do commodore v6's out the top is harder unless you have all the tools to do it where as with the k frame drop all you need is a jack, stands and some muscle lol