Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drag Racing - Best setup you have had.

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
14.8? wow i managed that time with a host of mods torana :p that's quick as :)

try taking your spare tyre out, and interceptors are probably a little too thin to be launching off unless theyre at a fairly low tyre pressure. (34 might be ok, i just use the std 17s...)
Pump your front wheels up nice and high (go by the highest rating on your tyres, usually mid 40s psi) to minimise rolling resistance.
DONT USE RETARDED FUEL ADDITIVES...
and turn off everything, lights, air con, fans etc.
Take your engine covers off, and if you're really game, take your air filter out for the run. there's heaps of little things you can do, even get slightly smaller profile tyres for the interceptors, which is the equivalent of shortening your gear ratios a little.

Trial and error... and money :)

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
14.8 with the standard 17" rims with Dunlop SP3000 235 tyres. I ran a very similar time without stalling it up btw. Burnouts are a waste of time with normal street tyres, get some semislicks for a better 60 footer.

Time slip or it didnt happen, what mods have you done?

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6

LOL that's a little impulsive, impulsive...

ok, that wasn't funny...

i've run a 14.81 in mine, but it's manual and i'm running a catback, dyno tune at vcm suite autotechnique, heavy duty exedy clutch, Custom CAI and manifold insulators, and i ran it on half a tank with no spare in the boot.... so i'm guessing at castle hill they have super powers?...maybe?...

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
LOL that's a little impulsive, impulsive...

ok, that wasn't funny...

i've run a 14.81 in mine, but it's manual and i'm running a catback, dyno tune at vcm suite autotechnique, heavy duty exedy clutch, Custom CAI and manifold insulators, and i ran it on half a tank with no spare in the boot.... so i'm guessing at castle hill they have super powers?...maybe?...

timeslip.. interested to compare to my 15.35 no tune, exhaust version

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN

Ive already posted my timeslip on here, i will repost it here for you ok. Also my car aint stock its got a VCM tune, K&N Airfilter and all new bushes thoughout the suspension, i know my car gained a higher then average amount of power especially in the midrange which would help also.
Also DZ811 the only extra mods you have are manifold insulators and catback which would not gain much more power then mine would make with just the tune so it makes sense that our cars would be quite even over the 1/4. Also the 5 speed auto makes it alot eaiser to get off the line. Also a few of the guys that went on one of the JCCC cruises can vouch for how quick my car is :p
Left lane :)
sv6_Timeslip-1.jpg

Last edited:

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
so your in the left lane if we were looking at it upside down?

what setup were you running, Stally? I think my car might have the potential to break into the high 14s (14.9) or very low 15s with the right setup..

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
im off to willowbank tomorrow night, was curious what setup has worked best for you.

I have a vz sv6 alloytec
best time i ran was 15.539, 16" Chasers, 34 PSI 2200 RPM Stall. TC on little wheel spin
I also ran a 15.573 with my 19" ROH furys, 2000rpm stall. TC OFF little wheel spin.

What do you think would be the better setup.. im particulary worried about traction as i suffered badly at drag day.

Try 15inch rims and let the tyres down a bit more.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
so your in the left lane if we were looking at it upside down?

what setup were you running, Stally? I think my car might have the potential to break into the high 14s (14.9) or very low 15s with the right setup..

No i was is the left lane as it says on the timeslip lol, the guy in the right lane was a worked proton satria lol.

I was running with the standard SV6 17"rims with good rubber, the spare tyre was left in the car but the Subs ect were taken out. I stalled the car at around 2500rpm and let it rip. This was done at Western Sydney International Dragway. You do know they run a 15.3 dead standard right?

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
14.3@96mph... with basic mods...

way back in 2008... dont think anyone with basic mods has gone quicker yet...

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
BY BASIC YOU MEAN SUPERCHARGED YEH?....
coz that's near impossible surely...