Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

*drag racing virgin!! - tips & advice please*

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
Drag racing virginity gone.

Attachments

• GAS-30T.jpg
    GAS-30T.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Why would the track be wet? Since when do meetings allow racing on a wet track?

Anyway, speak to your boyfriend about it, he obviously has the experience. Regardless, if the PB for the wagon is 13.2, i wouldnt even be worried, when the light turns green, tramp it and go. Hardly a powerful car running low 13's. Not sure how you can expect a 12.9 from a 13.2...

Anyway, have fun, if you are not confident, do not race. Otherwise, in a slow car(13.2 is pretty slow) just boot it and drive.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Ask your boyfriend for tips. I don't know how he thinks 14" rims will be safer then sticky stuff, more chance of spinning and losing control = more danger. Oh yeah, hope the brakes are good because coming over the finish line at 170km/h+ is scary with withering brakes.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Yeah just relax

if you haven't drag raced before and are nervous etc - then just go out there and get the 'feel' for it the first few times around. - all you're doing is driving in a straight line, which isn't that hard!.. after you have a few runs, you'll get used to it all and start having heaps of fun!

the track is going to be sticky as anything - way more grippier than the road - with a low 13 sec car I wouldn't be too scared of skating half the track or anything.

you won't notice a difference between an lsd and an open diff if you're not wheelspinning. - if you take off rough as you might get the arse of the car kicking a bit... if you feel uncomfortable with it just back off the gas and it'll straighten up. (just be smooth with everything you do :p) - with a turbo car (depending on if it's manual or auto etc) you might even want a tiny bit of wheelspin to get it up onto boost right away off the line - but there are a million different factors - and you'll get the 'feel' for it all anyway.

Other than that, just listen/watch the officials - they'll tell you when to do a burnout, where to stop on the staging lines (and tell you to go forward or back etc)

once the lights go green - don't stress too much about launching right away. The time you take to take off from the lights doesn't contribute to your ET. - so you can be comfortable launching etc if you want. - the hardest thing I've found is that I can't even HEAR my own car most of the time I run, as there's some crazy pipe-less 454 big block in the lane next to me lol.

After you launch, just keep it planted and try drive in the straightest line possible! (the track is wide as!)

You'll know you've passed the 1/4 mile after you cross a line, or the walls change colour or something like that. Sometimes you can see your time on the board, other times you can't - depends on the track I guess.

There is HEAPS of room for cars to pull up after a race from MUCH faster than you'll be going (you'll be going 160-170km/h).... They're not out to kill people lol. Just brake normally (but reasonably quickly), and you'll see where you have to stop by (it'll be ages away).

most importantly, relax and HAVE FUN - that's what it's all about!

If you don't do the best on your first time out, don't stress! there's always next time. - and the more practise you can get, the better!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
just HAVE FUN. i'd say you don't need to do a big burnout. not going to make a huge difference anyways. just enough to clean the treads off. first time outyou don't need to nail the throttle. as you gain more confidence you can give it more revs off the line

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
Yeah dudes im gonna go out to have fun... But we have this bet going me and Lukey... I don't wanna get smashed... *sigh* Lol.

It's mainly when the boost kicks in that i'll get a bit scared...... Kicks out and I correct it and yeah.... :whistling And have to TRY to keep her straight.... My first time though so like you guys said, i'll just be getting a feel for it..... I wonder if I could talk him into letting me drive the Calais next meet haha (was last front cover of Zoom) but I doubt it..

Mama and I had a huge fight about it today, going on like she does. So I cant wait to print all the pics from Cackling Pipes & Badger Photography and stick them all around the house... Like I do with pics of my VN from my mobile phone haha..

Practise makes perfect I guess!! God damn when I grow up, i'm making sure my backyard is big enough for a drag strip hahahahaha

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
I am only 19.
I I know my VN like my best friend and how she handles in all situations,

That scares me. Don't become complacent. that is when kids make a mistake - they believe they know all driving situations and can win them all.

Sorry i can't help with the drags. Sounds like your fella is the one to listen to.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I'm confused, the max speed you have ever reached in your VN is 160 but this is the first time you have drag raced. Where did you get the VN up to 160, circuit?

shanecam81

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina
dont have your phone on in your pocket, my mate did on his first run, it rang just as the lights changed, cost him 3 secs lol