Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drink Driving Responsibility

Who bears the responsibilty of drink driving incidents?

• Driver is at full fault.

Votes: 56 70.0%
  • All parties are at equal fault.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I have a different opinion to this matter.

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters

blackdoggg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Okay, so I was having a discussion with someone earlier this evening.
The issue was, drink driving, say when a bunch of people pile into a car, everyones loaded, driver included. (Drink driving all your mates home from the pub).
On the drunken trip home there is a crash, some people are obviously injured to certain degrees, some maybe worse.

Now my question for you all is, and theres the poll above, who is at blame? He believed that the driver was 99.9% to blame, and everyone else are the victims.

My arguement is that you all chose to drive home drunk, its not wholly the drivers fault, yes they had the wheel, but you did hop into the car. I strongly do not believe the driver can be given full responsibilty, all the parties did chose to be there, and lets face it, if there hopping in the car with a drink driver, they would most likely have driven anyway given the opportunity.

Well thats my thoughts, was wondering what all you guys believe, and why you hold that opinion. Is it fully the drivers fault, did everyone play there part, or a different opinion on the scenario.

I would like to note that i am not condoning drink driving AT ALL. Or any intoxicated driving for that matter.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
the driver is mostly at fault but his passengers need to take some blame also.
they should have stopped him from driving but at the end of the day the driver made the decision to drive

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
anyone who drives home drunk is a idiot, and deserves to not have a licence.

anyone who hopps into a car with a driver who is under the influance, also is a idiot, and deserves not to sit in a car ever again.

seriously i dont care what anyone says, both are just as bad as each other.

Rolla_Rolla'

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ke30 Rolla'
its not just the driver at fault, yes he is the one with the car, and yes he is the driver (responsibility) but all the other drunken tools, jump in the car with him/her as well, thus putting everyone at fault

garth has a good point ^^

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
This is going to be one short and to the point thread.

I propped someone on the freeway recently after zapping him on the laser at 165 km/h. He got out of the car, stank of booze and had three mates in the car. He blew well over twice the limit and was on a P licence which was suspended.

He tried to say it was his mates that urged him into driving and going that fast. That was quickly met with "Your mates aren't the ones with an accelerator under their foot".

blackdoggg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yeah probs will be short, just wanted to understand some others views, and see what you all thought generally. Seeing as im blindly of one obvious opinon here :p
Wow 165 and loaded? Man thats scary tbh. Kinda lucky you caught him before something happened, like the billboards lol :p

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Im going to say the driver is at fault.

Hes the one with the keys. Clearly if the passengers are pretty pissed their judgement has long gone out the window. They wont be able to gauge how much the driver has had to drink. The driver is just going to tell them hes right and the drunks are going to believe him or her.

End of the day its the driver who's going to be in the **** so its his or her responsibility to make sure they are driving whilst over the limit.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
Okay, so I was having a discussion with someone earlier this evening.
The issue was, drink driving, say when a bunch of people pile into a car, everyones loaded, driver included. (Drink driving all your mates home from the pub).
On the drunken trip home there is a crash, some people are obviously injured to certain degrees, some maybe worse.

Now my question for you all is, and theres the poll above, who is at blame? He believed that the driver was 99.9% to blame, and everyone else are the victims.

My arguement is that you all chose to drive home drunk, its not wholly the drivers fault, yes they had the wheel, but you did hop into the car. I strongly do not believe the driver can be given full responsibilty, all the parties did chose to be there, and lets face it, if there hopping in the car with a drink driver, they would most likely have driven anyway given the opportunity.

Well thats my thoughts, was wondering what all you guys believe, and why you hold that opinion. Is it fully the drivers fault, did everyone play there part, or a different opinion on the scenario.

I would like to note that i am not condoning drink driving AT ALL. Or any intoxicated driving for that matter.

i'm with u on this one, after a drinking session everyone is pretty well going to be as trashed as each other, therefore anyone silly enough to jump in a car with someone they have just been on the piss with has to know that the driver is in a similar state to them.
if no one in the group tried to persuade the rest to walk home, get a cab or throw the keys on the pub roof thats just pissweak.
if something bad was to happen on the way home im sure everyone involved, driver, passengers, those smart enough not to get in the car to start with would be blaming themselves big time

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
Full responsibility on the driver.

When you've had a fair bit to drink (and by that I mean ALOT) youre not going to say 'Hold on a minute, before I get into the car, how much have you had to drink? are you really ok to drive or should we just call a cab?

obviously that seems like the logical thing to think/say... but who's logical when theyre drunk?

If you know you're driving/going to be driving, its your responsibility NOT to drink, or to MAKE SURE you're well under the limit (e.g. one beer 2 hours before driving).

I think the best option is to just take a cab, but really when youre in that state, like I said, the best option isnt always the one that comes to mind