Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving from VIC to S.A on Learners?

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Just a quick question, since my Mum and her partner want me to come on a holiday to Adelaide for New years, her partner isn't the best driver and I've got my learners, so they want me to do the whole trip and back.
I was wondering if I would be able to drive interstate with my L's.
A bit more info, I do a fair amount of my hours on highways since we live out of town as I've stated in my "My Ride" thread if anyone has looked at that.

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Personally I would be happy for you to do the whole trip with a licensed driver in the nav seat. There's no reason why you couldn't drive around AUS on L's.. It's all experience in the end :) I know I drove more than enough country long distance when I was on L's ( mid 80s) Anything longer than a few hours I would recommend a good break as it can take a bit out of a person that's not used to keeping the mind active for that long ;) Happy driving!!

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
Go for it mate. Sounds like great way to get your hours up.

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
all good mate, follow victorian road rules.
and leave a 10-15min break in ur log book per 2 hours

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
Dunno if its still the case but a few years back your learners was only valid in the state it was issued

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
Dunno if its still the case but a few years back your learners was only valid in the state it was issued

you can now, i did as did my sister you follow your liscense's road rules.

so nsw ls are restricted to 80, you go 100 cos vic dont have that rule.. (idont think)

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
go for it mate.

even in interstate you follow your own states laws with regards to L's and P's (so you can do whatever the posted speed is)

even if you drive for more then the 2hrs straight dont worry.
when i handed in the L's book they saw a few 3hr trips, and i was like, yeah we stopped for 5 minutes, halfway through, they said thats fine, no worries.

writeoff

0 to 100... eventually
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
I got a few blocks of greater than 2 hours crossed off in my log book even though I said there was a break half way, that didn't help and she said "so, how many of these hours have breaks included in the time?" luckily I had more than 200 hours. Play it safe and write down them in less than two hour blocks. But yeah as stated follow the rules that would apply to you in Vic.