Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dual Battery Into VY Ute

Bundy_Wal

Livin' the Bundy life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6 S pack Ute
Anyone put a dual battery system into a VY ute before? I had one in my VS which I recently sold, had a big Anderson plug in the tray so I could remove the battery when I was just cruising in town, mainly used it weekends to run the beer fridge in the back. Ripped all the wiring out when I sold the ute and recently installed it in the VY ute I replaced it with. This time I built a tool box in the back, under the back window. This lets me keep the battery in there all the time, heaps less stuffing round! To wire it up I just used a big solenoid which switches using the ignition wire, so when I start the ute it starts off both batteries, and while driving it is also charging both batteries. When I turn the ignition off, it isolates the second battery, with just the fridge running off this one. Should probly have a charge equalizing circuit on it to make sure each battery is charged evenly, but this works fine for now.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Both batteries will naturally charge equally.

Becareful that the solenoid doesn't burn out from continous use. You won't know when it happens.....