Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dunlop FM 800 Tyres

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
The time has come to replace my 6 year old Dunlop Sport SP01 tyres. I have been happy with these much maligned tyres, 6 and a half years old and have just hit 50,000 klm on them. They still have a touch under 4 mm tread left.

These tyres are no longer available, if they were, I would go for them again.

I am after a quiet tyre ( if that is possible in a 245 tread ).

The one that I have come down to is the new Dunlop Sport FM800.

They are on a 4 for 3 special at the moment ( works out to $179 each ).

Is any Forum member running these newly released Dunlop tyres ?

The only review of these on the net is from the UK and it give a “too good” of a report on them.

Love to hear any informed comment.

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Just for everybody's information, I ended up purchasing the Dunlop FM800's. Only done 300 Klm on them over the past week.

My initial impression is that they are quiet and seem to have good grip. The steering is slightly lighter as well. So far, so good.

I will do a future update.

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
An update for those interested,

I have done 1,200 klm on them so far and still have good things to say about them.

They are very quiet on coarse chip bitumen, which is what you want, and very quiet on smooth hot mix.

Did a trip to Western NSW on them and I was pleasantly surprised to observe the car used obviously less fuel. I fill up at the regular places, and instead of the quarter tank I normally have when I return home, the gauge showed almost half a tank. I cannot put figures on it at this stage, but an improvement.

These tyres are advertised as "sports" on some sites and as a "Green Mileage" tyre on others.

I have noticed that the car "leans" a little more in the corners with these tyres. Maybe the extra 5.5 mm of tread over the old SP01's make them flex a little more, or maybe any new tyre with full tread flex's sideways a little more than a fully worn tyre.

I sense that these tyres have excellent grip ( without pushing it to extremes )

Still happy !