Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Duo cheat 270m/918' death plunge

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Like an impending rollercoaster ride with the descent just beyond view, Scott Juniper and Dan Bowden's hearts were in their throats as their rally car slid toward a 270-metre ravine on New Zealand farmland. But this was no thrill ride.

When the ground disappeared beneath the 2003 Twin Turbo Porsche and only sky stretched ahead - neither knew which track gravity would take them. Scott went silent, Dan started screaming expletives. The silver Porsche flipped about 30 times before landing in an inaccessible ravine, 8km from the finish line of a Targa New Zealand racing stage.

Excerpt from Sunshine News

"We came up to the corner and it was listed as an extremely dangerous caution. Scott had slowed down but the brakes didn't work and we went right off the edge," Dan said.
"We were airborne for about 50 metres but we couldn't see all the way to the bottom then. We could only see 170m down but there was another ledge and another
100m. The g-forces involved and the rolling was unbelievable - the safety
system in the car was the only reason we lived".

"At the start I didn't think we were going to die but the roll cage started beating down on our heads - then every roll we landed on the roof was absolutely terrifying. We couldn't even see where we were when we got out of the car and we could not believe we'd survived."

The prominent Sunshine Coast businessmen returned late yesterday with Dan sporting one of the best black eyes I've ever seen and Scott with chipped teeth, harness and
helmet marks, and an "enormous" headache after being knocked unconscious.

The car had the strongest roll cage available, seats that enveloped their heads, and strong harnesses and helmets. While Dan plans to return to racing for the Noosa Hillclimb next weekend, Scott said he would wait another month before deciding whether to get behind the wheel of a rally car again.

"I was able to see down when we slid over the edge and I thought we were dead, I didn't think we would walk away," Scott said. "I had a co-driver with me; you just start to realize the gravity of how responsible you actually are for someone's life. I remember quite a few of the tumbles but then there was a long space of rolling in the air and I just remember a really hard impact - then I don't remember anything until the bottom."

Dan, the 32-year-old managing director of a car care product company called Bowden's Own, said the biggest challenge was trying to walk back up the 270m hill to let people know they were there. "It was that steep we couldn't work out how to get up," he said.
"But it could have been a whole other story if we had both broken bones because no-one would have known we were there. "Someone's watching over us, we're destined for greater things."
"Duo cheat 270m/918' death plunge"

Like an impending rollercoaster ride with the descent just beyond view, Scott Juniper and Dan Bowden's hearts were in their throats as their rally car slid toward a 270-metre ravine on New Zealand farmland. But this was no thrill ride.

When the ground disappeared beneath the 2003 Twin Turbo Porsche and only sky stretched ahead - neither knew which track gravity would take them. Scott went silent, Dan started screaming expletives. The silver Porsche flipped about 30 times before landing in an inaccessible ravine, 8km from the finish line of a Targa New Zealand racing stage.

Excerpt from Sunshine News

"We came up to the corner and it was listed as an extremely dangerous caution. Scott had slowed down but the brakes didn't work and we went right off the edge," Dan said.
"We were airborne for about 50 metres but we couldn't see all the way to the bottom then. We could only see 170m down but there was another ledge and another
100m. The g-forces involved and the rolling was unbelievable - the safety
system in the car was the only reason we lived".

"At the start I didn't think we were going to die but the roll cage started beating down on our heads - then every roll we landed on the roof was absolutely terrifying. We couldn't even see where we were when we got out of the car and we could not believe we'd survived."

The prominent Sunshine Coast businessmen returned late yesterday with Dan sporting one of the best black eyes I've ever seen and Scott with chipped teeth, harness and
helmet marks, and an "enormous" headache after being knocked unconscious.

The car had the strongest roll cage available, seats that enveloped their heads, and strong harnesses and helmets. While Dan plans to return to racing for the Noosa Hillclimb next weekend, Scott said he would wait another month before deciding whether to get behind the wheel of a rally car again.

"I was able to see down when we slid over the edge and I thought we were dead, I didn't think we would walk away," Scott said. "I had a co-driver with me; you just start to realize the gravity of how responsible you actually are for someone's life. I remember quite a few of the tumbles but then there was a long space of rolling in the air and I just remember a really hard impact - then I don't remember anything until the bottom."

Dan, the 32-year-old managing director of a car care product company called Bowden's Own, said the biggest challenge was trying to walk back up the 270m hill to let people know they were there. "It was that steep we couldn't work out how to get up," he said.
"But it could have been a whole other story if we had both broken bones because no-one would have known we were there. "Someone's watching over us, we're destined for greater things."

C.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Damn lucky, thats amazing

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
wow.. 270m... thats a long long way.

I want pics

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Ask and you shall receive

+16726851131499145.jpg

+03408031131499111.jpg

+14489651131499176.jpg

+10162531131499201.jpg

+98688901131499227.jpg

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Sorry, I didn't post the pics, always concious of the dial uppers.

C.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Jeez!
Thats damn lucky n a half!

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I ended up in a ditch once cause some fool woman was behind the wheel...

Out in the countryside late one night she decided to play around with the headlight switches trying to spook me...(you know how dark a country road is at night ?). Well the XA falcon she was driving decided not to turn the lights back on and she fumbled around until the light knob fell off. Anyway a corner was fast approaching as this happened and she tried to take the corner with the headlights off. Next thing I hear was the tires on gravel....next nothing but wind...Yep we were airborne...then CRASH, BANG we come to a halt in this gully bank in all the shrubs...I smelt petrol...asked if she was alright and started to panic cause I couldn't open my door. Anyway we both scrambled out her driverside door...and scampered up the slippery band. I was expecting an explosion or something from the smell of fuel in the air...luckily nothing happened. When we got to the top of the bank I noticed just how lucky we were to live. Her car had just missed these 2 massive River Red Gums by a few feet...and somehow threaded its way between them...the car ended up resting about 20 metres down the bank alongside these thick shrubs... suffice to say I never got in another car with her behind the wheel again...

Last edited:
N

nitrodan

That's why all the safety gear is important no matter how good you are noone can plan for that.