Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DVD screens in fold down mirrors

SHIFTA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
Hi guys,

I am sure there are a couple of threads with the same topic. Im thninking of installing dvd screens on the back fold down mirrors for my VQ Caprice. Also looking for screens on ebay. Any suggestions, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

SHIFTA

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
i reckon it would be pretty hard to wire them up.. youd probly haveto pull down the entire roof lining

SHIFTA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
I was hopefull it would use pretty much the same voltage as the lights on the mirrors would.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
you've still gotta run the signal wires. it wont be that hard really, consider getting premade ones, about $250 for a pair off ebay, maybe cheaper even.

they replace the original ones, no idea how or how good, but then you just run the wire down the front pillar and to power and dvd player.

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
It is possible to get them from ebay as a complete sunvisor, but you do need to run the signal cables which is the biggest headache. But, they are a much better option to the flip down in the centre of the roof, or the flip out as they cant be seen from the outside of the car. Be prepared to fork out some decent amounts of cash for good quality stuff though.

SHIFTA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
You reckon I'll be able to find dvd screens that will fit in place of the fold down mirrors?

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
no you wont find ones that are a straight replacement for the folddown mirrors.

they are talking about the ones that replace the front sunvisors not the rear mirrors.

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
the fold down mirrors in the back, i highly doubt it, about the smallest you can get these days is a 7 inch, maybe 6.5, although JVC are producing a single din cd/dvd/mp3 player with a 3 inch or 3.5 inch screen, if you can find one of those screens you might be able to do it, but seeing as the decks are around the 1k mark, i wouldnt want to be pulling one apart just for the screen

whiteknight66

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ Crewman
Hey Guys
Just realised there was a similiar thread running for this very thing ( sorry moderator :)) my two cents thus far is a wood/metal molding made from the template of the original mirror assy....the screens would only require 12 volt and bluetooth versions take over from there...I plan on streaming from a NAS Hard Drive ( also 12v)so far im going with iPhone / i Pad for the interface control...........ie : to select the movie and commence play but a Laptop w/. bluetooth could do it as well ( down the track mini-itx computer could be the go as well???) will keep you all informed as we hit the breakthroughs :) Has anyone thought of something to take up the gap of the old radio controls ???

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Tried doing this, failed. Too damn hard. The problem I ran into wasn't the cable runs, It was as mentioned the actual screens. I found some cheap LED ones from a photo frame worked the best, otherwise its all too thick and you have to modify the fold down piece to be thicker.
The wiring was fine if you make a patch loom to you roof loom to the screens. Helps to be an expert at soldering tiny things too. I gave up as it was too much effort.
Pull the roof out to run the cables though, I didn't the first time and had a cable rub on the metal in the roof and kept blowing the power fuse. Had to take the roof lining out to find it.
I ran Power, Ground, Trigger wire and shielded signal cable for video for mine. Was going to wire them up to come on with a switch, didn't trust the switch on the original mechanism once I'd stuffed with the thing to mount the screen.
Signal was a 12 volt DVD player I had mounted in the glovebox, via a RCA cable. Audio went to the amp(s)
Good luck!