Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno difference

yescooling

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dream a commodore redline
Hi guys
I'm been comparing Chervolet SS and commodore 2016 for quite a while. And I have asked why SS was faster. Now I have found something and need your guys opinions. Here is the post from SS for ss'dyno numbers, 2014 stock SS is measured around 350 rwhp which is around 260 rwkw. And our stock is around 220 rwkw. Is that true? They all ls3 if I'm right
2014 Chevy SS Baseline Dyno Testing [video] - Chevy SS Forum Reference for SS . Our results are quite easy to be found here so I don't bother. Guys, any thoughts ?

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Don't think there's much of a difference between the power curves in the Chevy SS and the LS3 Holden's. Do remember that like snowflakes and women, every car ever built is a little bit different.
I'm being a bit pedantic but fast relates to top speed and quick relates to how long it takes you to get there.
From what I can tell both cars have the same regulated top speed so they're equally as fast.
Whether some cars are quicker than others depends on many factors, one of which I pointed out in the first paragraph. Mechanically, there's a bees dick's difference in the vehicles now -weight, components, etc.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Stop racing dynos....

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
yescooling, dyno figures are fudged as a matter of course, and cars in the USA are always claimed to run faster times than here.
I think the difference between an LS3 Chev SS and an LS3 Commode can be put down to lies & general BS.

yescooling

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dream a commodore redline
I start to believe the system in the US maybe different. Nevertheless, really appreciate everyone's input.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Pretty sure they're supposed to be using the same units of time ... :)
Dyno results are easily explained, though, dyno operators make sure they read high because that makes the customer happy, and dynos installed in the US have generally read higher than here since forever.
Wheel dynos require calibration, they don't roll off the dyno production-line & get installed & then produce accurate numbers; by design they require calibration, and because their usage is entirely about comparison & relative power outputs the actual numbers they put-out aren't their 'main thing'. So a tuner can do their job absolutely perfectly & have the car purring like a kitten, and it doesn't matter what actual number the dyno prints-out. But a customer is going to be unhappy if those numbers infer less power than the manufacturer claims, so the tuner really needs to be sure that the dyno at least doesn't read low; and customers are going to be happier if it reads a little high.

It makes no sense, even when the customer knows the numbers are a bit meaningless (eg. me when I had mine tuned), it's still 'nice' when those numbers read higher. :)

Anyhoo, my point with all that spiel is that a chassis dyno that's inaccurate is normal, there's nothing wrong with it; it's still working perfectly, doing what it's supposed to be used for. And that US tuners have generally had them set-up to produce slightly higher numbers. A mate of mine a few years ago was heavily into MoTeC gear, EFI and tuning, and I remember him thinking it was the brands of dyno they used in the US which were reading high, but then a brand popular here started making sales inroads there (?Dyno Dynamics?) & they gave the same differences in results.

Last edited: