Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Coil pack Intermittent

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Gonna get straight to the point;

Thought I'd take the old VT for a drive, around Melbourne yesterday did around 200km's in the day she has been used every 1 week or sometimes longest 2 weeks or so for the last 6 month.

Last night VT on the way home jolted a a few times then engine stalled. Wouldnt start again

Initially I thought fuel related issue because I was low on fuel (and have been lower than where it was at) topped up with 20L of fuel and used aerostart to try and get her going.but you know low fuel can lead to issues with filter sucking up bad gunk at the bottom of the tank.. but its not that.

I ended up towing the car home and today I have;

Changed the Fuel Filter
Tested to see of the Fuel Pump works still which it does
Tested Coil pack, was fine nice sparks at the plugs.

After I checked the coil pack and plugged everything back in the car just started first turn.. let it idle for 30 seconds then gave it a few soft rev's engine sounded fine like no problems at all. left it to idle for more than after about 2 minutes it stalled again. Wouldnt start anymore after that - then I though I'd test the coilpack again and now is giving no spark at all?

I assume something Intermittent is going on with the coilpack, but before I go changing this can anyone tell me what reasons why my coilpack would work sometimes but not other times?

Cheers

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
Have you checked for spark at the plugs?I personally can't imagine your problem being a coil pack.Check the plug/wiring to the crank angle sensor.There are many threads explaining how to do a fault diagnosis with a paper clip so you might wish to do that before spending any cash.Good luck

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
It may be the crank angle sensor they are a common fault get the paper clip and give that a go