Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec development

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I wonder what it would cost to get a spacer machined out of aluminium? I would say that the increased runner length would be more of a benefit than reduced heat soak.

there are actually 2 different parts, one a insulator/spacer that fits between the runners & plenum, and it helps with both the longer runners (low rpm torque) and helps keep the plenum cooler to reduce intake temps.

the machining costs for a one off would be quiet high and decent qaulity alloy plate isn't cheap either. on the other hand doing a large production run would be considrably cheaper.

Aluminium would get hotter though wouldnt it? would look 10x better though

i think the plenum spacer that fits between the plenum and lid could be done in alloy because the insulator/spacer underneath the plenum is doing it's job to reduce the heat in the plenum so a alloy spacer between the plenum and lid wouldn't really effect the intake temps much.

still for $300 you have a manifold thats almost as functional as a $1750 aftermarket manifold, just hit it with some paint to make it look bling and i recon your on a winner.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Hmm thats true, still debating if I should get it or not.

Yeah I would probably spray it if I end up getting it.

And yeah for the price as you say it is not that bad, I guess its trial and error...

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the only thing im skeptical about with the plenum spacers is laminar airflow, and whether it completely screws around with it or not. the thing about the c.o.m.e. racing manifold is that they flow bench those things for hours and hours to get the best possible design for flow as they can when they develop something like this.
whereas the mace plenum spacer really just makes your plenum larger within its current design so it might actually have worse flow characteristics than before...i dunno, this would have to be tested/flow benched to see.
just something i was thinking about when looking at the spacer, for all i know it could be the bees knees, we'll have to wait and see once there's conclusive results around - rather than just "seat of the pants" feedback from people.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the only thing im skeptical about with the plenum spacers is laminar airflow, and whether it completely screws around with it or not. the thing about the c.o.m.e. racing manifold is that they flow bench those things for hours and hours to get the best possible design for flow as they can when they develop something like this.
whereas the mace plenum spacer really just makes your plenum larger within its current design so it might actually have worse flow characteristics than before...i dunno, this would have to be tested/flow benched to see.
just something i was thinking about when looking at the spacer, for all i know it could be the bees knees, we'll have to wait and see once there's conclusive results around - rather than just "seat of the pants" feedback from people.

have a good look at the pics in street machine, both manifolds are very similar except ofcourse the twin TB hanging of the side

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
When they last did a reveiw on the twin throttle manifolds in Street commies it showed the gains were really not worth the expense.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It depends on your level of mods too. If you had twin turbos, then it would be worth it.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Yeah just went and bought street machine, good read actually. Immortality ild have to agree they do look similar. Ild buy a c.o.m.e manifold though for the price its a bit of a ask, compared to a $300 price tag which pritty much does the same thing.

+ You would have to get it tuned wouldn't you? with the twin throttle bodys.

Im just going to follow the raptor vy project, he just got his in the mail.. though only the plenum spacer. Will be interesting at the very least!

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
My bad I thought this was for the twin throttles. On a worked engine the twin throttles were worth like 10hp more or some crappy figure which for $1700 is not worth it.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
have a good look at the pics in street machine, both manifolds are very similar except ofcourse the twin TB hanging of the side

to the naked eye looking at a pic maybe, but im certain the c.o.m.e. item would flow alot better. i remember they kept putting off releasing it untill they got it designed just right to give the best results.
as i said, its just a thought thats passed through my mind.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Yeah defntley the c.o.m.e. would out perform the mace products, though if you want to go on the cheap and achieve basically the same results(still in theory) one has a price tag over 1k and pay $300 at mace and get the spacer and insulator.

Though as you say, a lot more time + engineering has gone into the c.o.m.e product making it the more superior product. Though on a N/A I dont see why you need it, when you can spend $300.

Ild like to see the come manifold on a turbo or FI car, to see the results.