Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECOTEC Live Axle Dual exhuast tips

Tadz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
I have done a fair amount of reading the last few days on running a twin exhuast system on a Ecotec motor, I have read many posts with many different answers ranging from the best is twin 1 3/4", 2" or 2 1/4, I wanted to settle this as i am going to run twins on my car ( both run over the axle and then one runs behind the bumber to the second cutout ), As much as i love sound, i love the performance more, Out of these 3 ( or any other size that may be better ) what system would put out the most bang for my buck? ( Extractors already installed )

Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks Damien

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
Are u runnin a full twin system or are u going single to the diff then twin out the back?

Tadz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
[jonnoo];2028410 said:
Are u runnin a full twin system or are u going single to the diff then twin out the back?
Full system twin cats the whole works :)

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Not too keen on twins myself. But i did love this system. Much better then a standard cat back. Best of both words and gave a nice deep sound.
06082010195.jpg

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
Some food for thought to help you decide....

Have you researched about scavenging?
Don't get caught up in the aguement about "backpressure"!
What size is the outlet of your extractors?
What is more readily available? 1-3/4", 2" or 2-1/4" piping?? (Think of cost? The exhaust place will have a S**tload of what size and tooling to suit on hand?)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I have heard from a few exhaust places now that it wasn't a good idea to run twin's on a 6 as there won't be enough back pressure and you will end up loosing performance

I had gone down that road with my VS and when the time came to book it in to get the system made they convinced me that a decent single 2.5" was the way to go as I would only see benefits of a twin on a V8 (I wanted to get a twin stainless system from the headers back, high flow cats etc) now I have a 2.5" System from the headers back with a high flow cat and single resonator, sounds ok, a little drone every now and then but most of the time it sounds pretty nice

Last edited:

Tadz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Well i just need it duals out teh back, was told there is a full twin system that will enhance perfomance, But if this is not true/too hard how can i run Duals out the back without comprimising sound?

nathanshnoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I have heard from a few exhaust places now that it wasn't a good idea to run twin's on a 6 as there won't be enough back pressure and you will end up loosing performance

i've had some interesting discussions about this lately and there is not a lot of evidence to support this theory. better exhaust flow means faster/more efficient removal of exhaust gases from the engine.

it's a pretty hotly debated topic. :poke:

the thing is, if you have a short exhaust then theoretically you have less 'back-pressure' than a longer version of the same exhaust setup, since the gasses are escaping faster from the shorter exhaust and less pressure is built up in it. when you look at most racing cars they all have very short exhausts, if this created very low 'back pressure', reducing performance, then why would they not run longer setups? many drag/race cars only have extractors or very simple exhaust manifolds with nothing else.

i put a 5L into my old 4WD and i ran a twin 2 1/4 inch exhaust into single 3 inch and only had one 3 inch semi straight through muffler (no cat) and the exhaust stopped a foot before the rear diff (only as i CBF finishing it all the way and just wanted to play in my new toy :yahoo: )

it sounded bloody incredible and i never experienced any problems at all with any 'loss of performance' due to very little 'back pressure'.

i do think that on a V6, if you want the best sound, you are better off going with a twin 2 inch into a single 2 1/2 or something like that. it should sound nice and deep if you do this. if you run full twin 2 inch all the way you will probably get a bit of a drone noise.

........just my 2cents :)

nathanshnoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Well i just need it duals out teh back, was told there is a full twin system that will enhance perfomance, But if this is not true/too hard how can i run Duals out the back without comprimising sound?

i know it sounds a little silly but if you really want that 'twin look' you can always run a 'fake' second pipe just at the very rear for looks. surprisingly quite a few people do this.