Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Motor going into a boat

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
This is my favourite project at the moment. Would love to build something like this one day!!! Keep up the good work!!

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Well heres a quick Video of it running. Still have heaps to do as I have only done enough wiring to make it start for a test.

Had it running for about 1 hour today the only real issue I have noticed so far is that the Starboard Exhaust manifold gets hot at the top much more than the port side and is almost to hot to touch.
Reason I think is that I have the outlets too big and the manifold is not filling all the way to the top, It will be an easy fix to weld the water outlet end up a little more to create a restriction.

At least now I know it is going to work and the next job will be to finish off the wiring and dashboard etc etc

YouTube - Holden Ecotec Motor first start up in boat

Cheers Andy

Bohemian Wanderer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
to be a wet blanket on this amazing conversion. There is a reason that marine engines tend to be diesel. They are less likely to burst into flame and those that are petrol are specifically designed to reduce the risk relative to the environment in which they are used. Insurance? GOOD LUCK

a.j

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore S 5-speed
to be a wet blanket on this amazing conversion. There is a reason that marine engines tend to be diesel. They are less likely to burst into flame and those that are petrol are specifically designed to reduce the risk relative to the environment in which they are used. Insurance? GOOD LUCK

alrighty then,

if thats the case then why to honda and yamaha still make petrol engines for boats, and im pretty sure they still have the petrol can sitting in the boat.

and when my family was racing boats im pretty sure it was a Blown Chev 454 Petrol motor?

and im also pretty sure that when u have insurance on something like a boat, it is a requirement to have a fire extinguisher on board, its just common sense anyways.

I must say,

awesome project mate, it looks like an awesome setup

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6

Mate, I'm pretty sure that's just in the bigger boats, because they have the extra torque to push the absolutely massive weights, and the friction caused by water.

In the high performance boats, they're usually petrol motors. I know most ski-boats are petrol based V8s.

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR

You are very wrong but partially correct if that makes sense.

I always have a giggle when this question comes up.

90% of marine inboard engines for the recreational boat owner are all petrol Mercruiser or Volvo penta's most of which all have the Chevy V8 or V6 or inline 4cyl in them. Only the very high end and commercial stuff run diesels. Many of the bigger inboards run twin big block Chevy V8 petrol’s

99.999% of all outboards are petrol

All vessels by law have to be equipped with fire extinguishers and the size is dependant on how much fuel the boat carries, mine holds 200 litres so I have to have a minimum 1kg extinguisher on board at all times.

All inboard boats also have what is called a bilge blower, this is turned on prior to starting the engine and it sucks out any fumes that may be trapped in the bilge, Some petrol boats including mine also have a bilge sniffer and this detects any vapour that maybe in the bilge and sounds an alarm if vapour is detected, they can also be wired so the engine will not crank.

Also most petrol boat engines have spark arrested alternators and sealed starter motors and this motor has had the mod done to both.
most petrol boats run a carby which is designed for marine use and they have an overflow back to the tank incase the carby floods, fuel injection doesnt have this problem
Underfloor fuel tanks have an air space between them and the engine compartment etc etc and the list goes on

Insurance is not an issue with petrol boats and as said 90% of them are petrol.

Yes there are risks but that goes with anything. Diesel still has the potential to go bang if the fuel to air ratio is ideal.
if the boat is well maintained and the preventative and warning measures are in place then the risk is minimal and no higher than anything else.

Hope this clears anything up

Cheers Andy

Last edited:

marcdon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Evec 05
well well well Bohemian Wanderer seems the know it all comment has been blown out of the water "pardon the pun"
4bait absolutely amazing build mate, may I ask what is your background? mechanic, boilermaker etc cos the work you have done is top notch...I would be willing to pay money for that type of work.

The ecotec would be putting out around the 150hp mark (I guess) and weighs around 200kgs
The new mercruiser 3.0 4cyl is putting out 135hp at the prop but weighs 315kgs
4.3 6cyl is rated at 220hp and weighs 393kgs.
so effectively you have cut 100kgs of weight from your boat and given it more power.
I can't wait to see what kind of fuel consumption you get out of the old girl

Last edited:

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
well well well Bohemian Wanderer seems the know it all comment has been blown out of the water "pardon the pun"
4bait absolutely amazing build mate, may I ask what is your background? mechanic, boilermaker etc cos the work you have done is top notch...I would be willing to pay money for that type of work.

The ecotec would be putting out around the 150hp mark (I guess) and weighs around 200kgs
The new mercruiser 3.0 4cyl is putting out 135hp at the prop but weighs 315kgs
4.3 6cyl is rated at 220hp and weighs 393kgs.
so effectively you have cut 100kgs of weight from your boat and given it more power.
I can't wait to see what kind of fuel consumption you get out of the old girl

The ecotec I believe is 170hp, The old motor was a 470 4cyl Mercruiser which was also 170 hp but it was 30 year old technology so a newer 170 hp V6 should perform heaps better.
It will definately have better torque, and yes I will have cut back on about 100 to 130 kg of weight.
This boat weighs over 2 tonne as it is so any weight loss is good, it used to sit very low in the rear end when at rest.

As for my history / background for the last 15 years I have been working at a local Golf Club that will be hosting the Aussy Masters this November and I look after all the machinery there, I am a 45yo qualified Mechanic "old school I guess", also a Qualified Green keeper, I have an electrical certificate, I own my own Lathe and Mill and do engineering on the side for other golf clubs and as a hobby, generally I will have a go at anything, fabrication is a big part of my current job and I am generally welding every day. I used to work for Garry and Warren Smith Holden, Honda, Suzuki and Jeep as a team leader/ workshop controller and trained apprentices during the years of VN to VS. I have also worked around ozz a few times, Also Ridden motor bikes around ozz and 4x4 around ozz and held many different mechanical positions at different places over the years.

I am also a moderator of a well know Victorian fishing/ boating site but not sure if I can advertise that here. There is a similar post to this on that site as well

Cheers Andy