Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Sump

Bruce Trundle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 3.8 Utility
I'm fitting a VT EcoTec to a Triumph TR7, and have to build a Sump to fit behind the "K" member. I've cut the forward tank section off the Alloy sump, and am going to build a tank on the rear section of it, with a plate welded on to close the front section.

To calculate the size of the tank, I need to know the level of the oil when full in relation to the top of the existing tank. ie is it below or above the top of the tank. I poured 5 litres of water into the tank section that I had cut off, and it overflowed at about 4.5 litres, so it looks like the static level is above the top of the tank, but the high level mark on the dipstick indicates that it is just below the top of the tank. With the crank and filter full, this may be the case. I don't want to make the level too high or low and risk starvation or frothing.
The best solution may be to build a tank that holds just under 5 litres, so it is always full, which will allow plenty of cover for the pickup, and help to prevent sloshing .

Has anybody had experience with this?

20200530_114821_HDR.jpg
20200530_114056_HDR.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
4.8 litres is the standard service fill with filter so your measurements are about right.

I have found that with the oil at the low mark and braking extremely hard the low oil pressure warning light would come on.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Looks like a big mod there. Post a pic of the sump when you are done.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Make sure you bolt it down to a solid jig or it will bend and twist like a banana

Bruce Trundle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 3.8 Utility
Hi, thanks for the advice re distortion. I 'm not sure how I'll brace it, maybe bolt it down on the milling table, then tack it and weld in small runs. I've got to weld a 200 X 250 plate to cover the front section of the cast alloy frame, but the tank only attaches with fairly small welds. If it doesn't work, I'll revert to the the tinplate sump I adapted from an Oldsmobile of some sort that uses the L36 engine.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
I have a big peice of c section drilled and tapped for all the holes. It also has a few extra from when I did my alloytec pan it bent bad without being fully bolted down and I had to cut right accross the sump bolt it down and reweld the cut haha
IMG_20200604_004429.jpg

Bruce Trundle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 3.8 Utility
Hi again,

I've bolted it to a piece of 12mm plate, so will see how that goes.

2020-06-04 09.57.39.jpg