Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec to LS1 conversion VX Executive

188ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Sedan
Hi Everyone i am in the process of doing an ecotec to LS1 conversion on my vx sedan. I bought a donor wh statesman to do the swap. I have done the swap already but i am having a few issues I am wondering if you all can help.

As far as the swap goes it all went pretty smooth with fitting and it fired right up.

The the donor car was running and driving with no issues before I pulled it out with no lights other than airbag on the dash

The car runs and drives and the first issue I came across was my oil pressure light wasnt going out. I was confident it had pressure as the lifter tick went away shortly after starting and the oil level had dropped from being slightly over full down to with in range. So i ran down to supercheap and bought a gauge and put in it and I am getting oil pressure. I then fininshed off a few little things filled it up with water and warmed it up and I noticed my water temp gauge isnt coming up. I also have an engine light on as well.

I am wondering if there is some kind of wiring issue between PCM and BCM/dash as all these sensors were working before the swap in the donor car. I have checked all connections as well

I am using the dash out of the donor car and I had a local performance shop disable the VATS on the pcm so it would work with my bcm but I am also having a minor issue with starting. Usually the first time I turn the key the engine doesnt crank at all then the second time it cranks for a split sencond but stops then usually the third of fourth time it cranks fires and runs fine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I tried to do as much reading and research as possible before hand and got everything i needed and thought it would be pretty straight forward btu im not surprised im having issues as murphys law says anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

cheers guys

188ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Sedan
Found the issue. It was a broken wire going into the grey plug at the firewall behind the right stut tower.

Another issue is I dont seem to have 2,3,4 gearsin the auto. I wasnt able to drive the donor car other than on and off the trailer and into the shed so there is a chance it wasnt working before. I have another 4l60e trans off an ecotec that is good can i just swap the bee housing and output shadft housing with the one off the LS?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
You could almost just swap internals from the eco. Give you a chance to upgrade some internal stuff, new band and clutch packs. Beast shell too

Unsure if bellhousing and input shall will be enough.

188ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Sedan
You could almost just swap internals from the eco. Give you a chance to upgrade some internal stuff, new band and clutch packs. Beast shell too

Unsure if bellhousing and input shall will be enough.
Yeah I thought about this. If I was going to do this I’d just have to swap the bell housing and output shaft housing and it should go straight on. I’m just not sure if the problem is computer related or mechanical

188ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Sedan
So ive done a service on the trans which i planned to do any way and I have checked over all connections to transmission and it still wont change out of first. I get an engine light shortley after taking off and stays on until I turn the key off and on again. I have tried to read the codes by bridging pins 5 & 6 but it doesnt seem to work.

Any help would be much appreciated. The main thing I want to figure out is whether the problem is mechanical or electrical.

I have read through the list of common 4L60E issues but none of the ones listed seem to match the issue I'm having.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
This mod might make the car at least drivable until you can sort it out properly. Or leave it as is to be hectic! lol

For my knowledge, can you just swap bellhousings on the 60e's to go from ecotec to LS1 / 5L??

188ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Sedan
This mod might make the car at least drivable until you can sort it out properly. Or leave it as is to be hectic! lol

For my knowledge, can you just swap bellhousings on the 60e's to go from ecotec to LS1 / 5L??
Thanks for the idea man but this only works on ecotec pcm not ls1.

I am thinking in my be a solenoid/switch plate issue so I am going to swap these out of a known working trans and see how I go

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is there a TPS on this bus?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes it has a tps. Could this cause it to not change gears?
This was the most common cause of no gear shifts in earlier models.