Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] ecotech turbo manifolds

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Upgrading my ute in a few weeks and getting a nice vu s pack most likely.
been hunting around and noticed a few different turbo kits around but they are all very pricey for what you get, in fact its ridiculous what these companies are charging for these kits hahaha.

I build jap race cars for a living so have plenty of different turbos i can use, plenty of cooler piping and spare coolers, fuel pumps arnt an issue nor surge tanks if required.
clamps, hoses, exhaust wrap, external gates, braided lines by the meter and fittings ect i have tones of the stuff laying around i can use for no cost.

The only problem im having is finding a descent bolt on set of manifolds to use.
I like one set i found from i think gen racing but i don't like the idea of only using one bank of 3 to feed the whole engine, just doesn't seem to work right with me with balance of exhaust flow and so on.
I would really like to use all 6 cylinders to feed the turbo.
Im only going to be using something smallish but with a larger rear housing to handle with the flow but will only be running around 10-14psi through a t28 with a .86a/r rear housing with a 50mm gate.

Im not looking at making 300kw i just want a bit more power than factory and want it to tow my race cars a bit easier, and your usual bolt on crap everyone does, does sweet #### all beleive me.

If it comes to it ill end up making my own manifolds but my time is money and i don't really have the time to sit there and work out the best way to run them and so on so was hoping there was some manifolds i just haven't found yet.

Looking to mount the turbo in the front middle of the engine so it will be side way and the dump pipe leading over the passenger side runners and down the trans tunnel.
A friend of mine mentioned i could flip the manifolds and simply just make virtually a collector for both manifolds with a few flanges and a bit of pipe work but others have said you cant flip them because the ports are not symmetrical.

Any help from anyone who has done the conversion before?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i dont know of any kits running off one side on the market most run off all 6. side mounted is the best in front you loose the fan shroud and have heat issues.if you arnt after max power log manifolds are the easiest cheapest way and work bloody well think my passenger side log cost 30-40 bucks all made out of schedule 40 steam pipe.T28 turbo you will want 2 of them LOL one on each bank of 3 works perfect but theres not much room for a dump pipe down past the steering .

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Boost Obsession commotions manifolds would have to be some of the best on the market

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
thanks for that mate, thast does look nice but $1500 for a set of manifolds is out of the budget, was trying to do this on the cheap side.

just out of interest as you seem to know what your talking about, would you bother with the v6 and spending cash turboing it or just by an ss with the 5.7 lt?

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
depends what you want mate, obviously if you spend the same amount of money on a v8 you will get more power.
either have a quick turbo v6 or a quick ass sweet sounding v8

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
well its my daily work horse and will be carrying blocks and heads around pretty much ever day but never loaded more than 200kg at a time really.
then once a month will be towing my race car from pakenham to winton so its a fair haul.
with that in mind whats gonna do the job better and possibly be better on fuel and wear, as in am i gonna be pushing the v6 to do what i want and potentially wear the #### out of the engine?? if so the 5.7lt option is sounding more like the go.

what sort of consumption do people get with the 5.7lt in stock form as i would probably just do some extractors, exhaust intake and maybe a tune to fix up economy.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
mine uses just the same amount as it did before turbo even with heaps of squirts onto boost.if you drove everywhere full boost it sucks it like its going out of fashion but you would loose your licence before fuel usage was an issue LOL

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
haha indeed, im going to check out a vu ss next week and if all goes well ill probably buy it.... damn never thought i would ever give into buying a big cubed engine, turbocharged ftw