Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ELM 327 OBD II bought on ebay - not working. Anyone have one of these?

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
So what cable and software is best to use? Please don't say Tech2. Rather other, mainly due to price. Want pc based.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Any cheap Ebay job should work. when you pay more all you get is slightly faster response. I can't speak for software because i'm running a mac but just do a google search there is a free solution i think.

JFletch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8l V6 Ute
I've had the same problem as the first post by CARCOLLECTOR and mine also connects to the device ok but seems to have an issue connecting to the ECU comes up with a protocol connection error. Is there a way to change the protocol or what else should i be doing?

Any help would be Good!!

Cheers, Jonathan

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Most of the time with the newer ELM327 scan tools, they have been factory set to communicate at 34800 baud.
(And older software may not support this higher baud rate, only supporting the slower 9600 baud that the original ELMs were set for).

Have a look at this
www.carmodder.com • OBD Scantool Fun for Beginners for the Holden VE Commodore

It has information on checking the ELMs baud rate (Set on Windows, or Linux).
If you have a new ELM327 scanner, make sure the drivers baud rate is 34800, and if you are running Windows, try the following software.
ScanTool.net: OBD-II Software Front End - Browse Files at SourceForge.net
(Scantool.net)
The software is free, open source, and will return DTCs, as well as let you clear them. (Which is all that you need 99% of the time)...

I hope this helps.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I have that exact cable and after installing any type of software it wouldn't connect. I had to install an additional driver that came on the cd. Follow the instructions in the word file on the cd........

Worked on my VY anywa

I also have a serial number that seems to work for Proscan 5.9 if anyone's interested.................