Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Emergency! Car wont start

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
going for a long drive is half of what u need, but essentially when the car is driving/running the alternator is pelting out all of this power = the battery heats up and 'thinks' it's full so it doesnt accept any more charge.

My lecturer at TAFE told me that the best way to keep you battery in top shape is to drive with your headlights on. Strange eh?
(He was an RAA call-out-person for 25+ years)

He put it to me as: The headlights being on takes the some of the current being produced by the alternator instead of it all going to the battery. So the same (nearly) as trickle-charging which is how a battery charger works. It charges the battery SLOWLY so the batt doesnt heat up excessively and think its 'full'.

Scenario,
1)flat batt, jump start, drive to Murray Bridge. Arrive. Switch car off. Try to start again, batt will be low or flat.
2)flat batt, jump start, drive to Murray Bridge, With headlights on. Arrive. Switch car off. Try to start again, engine starts.

## unless of course the battery id old and stuffed or faulty.

This is my long-ass-winded $0.02

HussySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW GOLF GTD
Hey guys thanks for all the feedbacks. Extreamly disapointed atm. Luckey im tryna sell her and buy a brand new series 2 manaul :p

Well i have no license atm so driving her around isnt an option. I jumped started her and left the car running for 15-30 minutes. Ill be putting the car on the battary charger my mate lended me.

But i think its more then just the battary that is doing it. Because now it takes abit longer to actually start. And also it idles very strange. Also the car is vibrating alot. Like the car is shaking. AND when i shut the car down it gives me a very odd noise that really does not sound healthy at all. (very hard to strange. Like a nails running alound the chalk board)

Reason i tried starting the car is, it needed a wash. Car collected alot of dust. The car has very mimiual fuel. Would that have any problems. As in its showing VERY LOW FUEL.

I need to take it somewere tomorow. Its a half hour drive. Then parked underneath the sun for 5 hours, do use think it would start???

I have sub and amp in the boot. Maybe that was draining the battary coz when we were tryna jump start it, the red positive was giving sparks without even turning the ignition on. So i disconnected the sub(forgot the amp) and the spark went less and then started.

I am pretty pissed off. As i need the car tomorow.

So the question i am asking is, do use think itll be fine after charging it over night. ?????

Cheers for all your help.
Hussy

koins76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Make sure you diconnect the negative from the battery before charging. If the car has been sitting for a while, it could be the battery is just run down, they like constant use.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
well....there is a few things that you raised

Car sitting around as you have no licence...very low fuel that 's probably been sitting in the tank, probably old battery...
Sub/amp probably would not help it either if it an old battery

Start it...fill it up and make sure it's driven/started regularly

What year model is the car ? Has the battery been changed at any stage ?

If car is anywhere between 06-08 build the battery might be on the way out

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
Could you elaborate?

the battery needs to be charged up, running the car will charge up to a certain point then need to be topped up by charger overnight.I think the calcium batteries don't respond well to getting flat, so its probably better to keep it attached to a trickle charger suitable for these type of batteries if not being driven alot. Alot of people i know have replaced the OEM with optima yellow d34 but i think they had to modify the connections as the poles are around not suitable to fit directly into a ve, but by memory one of the red tops fit nice.

Luke V8

AKA Luke!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
Well i have no license atm so driving her around isnt an option.

Reason i tried starting the car is, it needed a wash. Car collected alot of dust. The car has very mimiual fuel. Would that have any problems. As in its showing VERY LOW FUEL.

I need to take it somewere tomorow. Its a half hour drive.

I am pretty pissed off. As i need the car tomorow.

Hussy

Why did you need to start the car to clean it?
If you have no licence why do YOU need the car tomorrow?

Sounds like a dodgy battery to me...

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
No1's suggestion him to check his Battery terminals..
I drove my car to petrol station once, stopped the car filled it up.. then went to start it 'click click' I was like WTF. when I first jumped in the car I had power to everything.. turned the key and no power at all.. Rolled the car out the way.. popped the bonnet and jiggled the battery terminal.. and bam! I r Macgyver with my l33t skills.

So I'd check the battery terminals, then have a look if any wires are loose.. then check out the starter or battery if all fails..

Well guys, I have just put the car on the battary charger. But when i put the red postive on it keeps sparking. Im not sure if this means anything or not, But i just really am scared tomorow my car wont start again.

Sparking when you put the positive leads on would prob cause you didn't read the instructions on the charger.. - nothin personal.. just sayin'

You're supposed to put the leads on first, then turn the charger on.. but yeah.

HussySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW GOLF GTD
Well it was all fine so thanks guys for all the help.

Just to answer few of your questions.

- Car is 2009 my9.5

- I personally didnt drive the car, i wasnt even in the car today, thats why it was so important for it to stay on, my uncle needed it for like engagement thing or sumthn i dono but he wantd to rock up with a better car then his KIA CERATO

- I needed to drive the car out of the garage to was hit for my uncle coz as its been sitting there for ages it has collected dust.

- And no i did not read the charger because it was from england and it had amillion settings, like truck, bike, car, boat. It was so confusing, my mate just pushed the buttons and was like plug power in tonight.

So Car is back in my garage ready to collect dust again for god knows whenever it needs to get woken up again. I hate this country's license rules.

Aniwaz thanks everyone.

Hussy

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
dont forget once u get it running get it into engineer mode and see what its saying for your charge. will tell you the voltage being done.

Attachments

• Engineer mode.jpg
    Engineer mode.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 655