Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

emptying transmssion fluid

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Dont laugh I know someone who did change 4 litres of fluid in a magna V6 without doing the filter, for the next 6 months was saving for a new tranny because it wouldnt go further than say 40 metres in first. Funnily enough after being told again and agan to change the filter it worked perfectly

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Why would you want to change/replace the trans. fluid and not clean the bottom of the pan and replace the filter. Seems to me to be a waste of time and money. False economy. Do the job properly the first time and it won't come back and bite you on the bum!
When I mentioned that I pumped my transmission fluid out I should have added that I then dropped the pan (which was a lot less messy with only a little bit of fluid in it) and replaced the filter. I also cleaned the pan. :thumbsup:

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
yeah its much easier than laying under the car with transmission fluid tipping all over your head. and the pan is lighter to drop down when its empty.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
My mechanic did this on my old VS. What he did was disconnect the cooler line, aimed it down into a drain pan, then right next to it he'd connect the tran oil filler drum to refill and start the engine. As the engine is running, oil is coming out of the cooler pipe and at the same time he's pumping new oil into the auto while carefully monitoring the colour of the oil coming out of the cooler hose, once the colour is nice and new the entire system has been drained out. I can't remember exactly how many litres it was but it cost me about $140 for the service I think.

It's something that I will be doing on my VX as well because the difference it made was increadible, it remarkably felt like a brand new auto, the downshifting was increadibly responsive and firm and upshifting really gentle unless I pushed it. Definately a great thing to do to your tranny IMO.