Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine build advice VR Caprice HSV 185i

BH78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
No worries mate, the 4503 is a good all rounder. But yeah 3000 stall minimum for that cam or it will be very doughy on the street.

Can highly recommend a Roadblaster converter if your looking for one, really well priced and great to deal with.

You can also tune a lot of the lumpyness out of it too and make it a bit more subtle at idle.
Sweet - will look at those.

Opinions on a decent value set of flatties?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Sweet - will look at those.

Opinions on a decent value set of flatties?
I like Hypatec just because they've been around for decades and have a good reputation, but I hear the MACE ones are reasonable as well.

Just don't order any until the engines been stripped down, as you need to check the bore first as if the engines super super tired and has ring ridge etc you may need to bore it out a little which means you might need 030' oversized pistons etc.

BH78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
So, the list is now as follows:
  1. Compression target 9.5/10-1
  2. Hypatech flat tops
  3. Crow 4503, lifters and push rods (waiting on alternative from Comp to compare)
  4. Heads, rebuilt with Blueracer springs and shaved to acheive comp ratio
  5. 3000 rpm stall
  6. 70mm throttle body
  7. Usual balancer. rollmaster timing chain, gasket set etc.
Questions:

Good value roller rockers - suggestions please?

Old girl came up well with some fresh tint and new mats - AC regas today.

Attachments

• 330842764_594040639406034_904067999649163771_n.jpg
    330842764_594040639406034_904067999649163771_n.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 110

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So, the list is now as follows:
  1. Compression target 9.5/10-1
  2. Hypatech flat tops
  3. Crow 4503, lifters and push rods (waiting on alternative from Comp to compare)
  4. Heads, rebuilt with Blueracer springs and shaved to acheive comp ratio
  5. 3000 rpm stall
  6. 70mm throttle body
  7. Usual balancer. rollmaster timing chain, gasket set etc.
Questions:

Good value roller rockers - suggestions please?

Old girl came up well with some fresh tint and new mats - AC regas today.
I run the ST2032 Yella Terra Street rockers, have had them across 3 different cams, 2x sets of heads and done about 70,000km on them now and they've been absolutely flawless.

They aren't the cheapest but they are aussie made and good quality.

Steer clear of Crane, they are now chinese made and have a few issues with quality control lately.

To be honest with a 4503 you don't NEED roller rockers, they aren't going to make a noticable performance difference at all. I only did it because my factory stamped steel rockers were so tired and worn and they aren't reproduced.

BH78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
I run the ST2032 Yella Terra Street rockers, have had them across 3 different cams, 2x sets of heads and done about 70,000km on them now and they've been absolutely flawless.

They aren't the cheapest but they are aussie made and good quality.

Steer clear of Crane, they are now chinese made and have a few issues with quality control lately.

To be honest with a 4503 you don't NEED roller rockers, they aren't going to make a noticable performance difference at all. I only did it because my factory stamped steel rockers were so tired and worn and they aren't reproduced.
Thanks - they were my first pick.

Yes, they seem like cheap security - I'm always a bit dubious when I look at the factory ones (they keep on trucking though).

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If buying pistons anyway may as well splurge extra 500-600 on scat crank.

Personally having 276'ish spec in 304 think it's letdown...you can notice the note at idle but as for performance dont feel it's much better than a healthy stock motor with bolt on mods.

Rather do 355 scat crank,good flat top casties & crane 284...should have good mid range with nice sound.

Stock heads for few years then decide better intake,more comp with head shave or forced induction lol

BH78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
If buying pistons anyway may as well splurge extra 500-600 on scat crank.

Personally having 276'ish spec in 304 think it's letdown...you can notice the note at idle but as for performance dont feel it's much better than a healthy stock motor with bolt on mods.

Rather do 355 scat crank,good flat top casties & crane 284...should have good mid range with nice sound.

Stock heads for few years then decide better intake,more comp with head shave or forced induction lol
If it was a car I wasnt trying to keep fairly stock I'd probably so something more aggressive. Can't see a supercharger hanging off this one!