Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine conversion

buster1192

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
im currently looking to put a vz alloytech into my car but im not sure as to how much work needs to be done to fit to my car and yes i know there is better engines but im a p plater and will be a few years till i can run a v8 plus rebuilding the current engine would cost almost the same as a second hand alloytech engine and box due to people upgrading to v8s

Last edited:

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
im currently looking to put a vz alloytech into my car but im not sure as to how much work needs to be done to fit to my car and yes i know there is better engines but im a p plater and will be a few years till i can run a v8

With aVR a freshly rebuilt Buick would be pretty good, how much milage is on your current engine? Other than that an Ecotech would probably be an easier modification, you just need to change the harness and ECU however I think you can run the ecotech on the VR ECU but it will not have sequential injection.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
+1 to the above post.

The VZ is a far more complicated engine with many more sensors and actuators.
You would basically need to run the VZ engine loom and graft it into the VR loom.
Plus you would need to overcome the issue of the security systems in the VZ PCM to allow the engine to start.

It's certainly do able, but you would need to start with lots of homework into how to get it done and the cost of doing it.

If you did do it, I think it would make a very refined VR!

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
i would think the transmission and PCM systems would be completely different to.

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
but p players can't drive engine converted cars??? So rebuilding a Buick is he only real option

buster1192

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
we can drive modified as long as its a standard engine its aloud

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I thought the engine conversion rule only applied if converted to V8, Supercharged or Turbo

As long as that engine isn't in a prohibited vehicle and engineered, unless they go on power to weight. But an alloy tech or Ecotec wouldn't exceed power to weight regulations.

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
I say do it,
may need to get another car maybe on gas for a daily and expect big delays and hassles.
check out xxx a project car on the sc forum.
alloytec turbo. in a vp. nice run a 190 with a t56 would be awesome and mad custom too

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
Ok I know in qld the motor has to be from that model car....but other states are different