Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Number - Where Is It!

Waussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec V6 Clubsport Kit
Hi All,

Had a V6 Ecotec fitted to my ride last month and need to submit the Engine Number to licencing. It is secondhand from another car and was fitted by a local service provider. Unfortunately, the new engine number was not put on the receipt and I didn't think to ask while they were doing the install.

Does anybody know where the god forsaken thing is. My manual says it is on the left hand side of the block near the front but I cannot see it. I've taken the coil pack off but it is looking like I need to take half the engine bay out.

Anybody have any ideas/tips on being able to see this little sucker.

Thanks...Waussie.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
ok I just did this on the weekend.

You will need, A rag, some engine degreaser, a mirror, a torch and some chalk, White or yellow is good.

the engine number itself is located on the passenger side of the engine next to the idler pully and just above the air conditioner.

I can take a pic if you need it.

Clean the area with degreaser and wipe it clean, rub chalk in there to make the number stand out, then use the mirror and torch to see the whole number, do it while the angine is cold, otherwise you will get some nasty burns.

Dingo.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina sedan v6
ok I just did this on the weekend.

You will need, A rag, some engine degreaser, a mirror, a torch and some chalk, White or yellow is good.

the engine number itself is located on the passenger side of the engine next to the idler pully and just above the air conditioner.

I can take a pic if you need it.

Clean the area with degreaser and wipe it clean, rub chalk in there to make the number stand out, then use the mirror and torch to see the whole number, do it while the angine is cold, otherwise you will get some nasty burns.

Thanks mate. Very helpful.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Your first ever post on the forum and you've revived a thread that's over 11 years old just to say "Thanks mate"?

It would have been much better just to hit "Like" and not resurrect the thread.

Andrew

jazza415

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Your first ever post on the forum and you've revived a thread that's over 11 years old just to say "Thanks mate"?

It would have been much better just to hit "Like" and not resurrect the thread.

Andrew
Yeah it would have

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
This thread makes no sense as the number needs to be sighted by inspector them selves.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
This thread makes no sense as the number needs to be sighted by inspector them selves.
No need to show an inspector here in SA for an engine swap. Just fill in the form and it gets updated

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
No need to show an inspector here in SA for an engine swap. Just fill in the form and it gets updated

Lol that's rife for stolen engines haha.
The whole point of recording engine numbers was to prevent fraud and theft. How can you prevent fraud or theft if an inspector doesn't verify the number???
SA says it all.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Ecotec engine numbers are also on the dipstick.

Have a look.