Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine oil, transfer ftom Mobil Synth S to "1" 15-50

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
don't get sucked in by what the "professional" use.
A few years back my family had a speedway car and had 2 major sponsors, Toyo Tyres and Castrol.
Never used either, just cashed the cheque, put their name on the car and said thanx when we won.
Its only moving advetising space

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Like I said, don't take it personal, chill out fellas, each will have their own preference and so be it.

I work with computers now, and there is also a arguement about Intel or AMD, having both I sit on the fence, but with the oil the synth or semi-synth is far better, try it and see on your next oil change.

LOL no I don't work for Mobil, but have done many forms of racing since I was 14, that's 36 years of being a petrol head so I have some knowledge to be able to say oils are not oils.

Penzoil is a US based oil generally used when thicker grades are used, or gear oils, there is noticeable loss in performance and a huge missconception that a thicker oil will give better lubricating performance.

I can only say from personal use that you will see a difference with tossing magnateck in the bin and using a good semi or full synthetic based oil in the vehicle be it a commuter to the shops and back or a race car.

Don't knock it until you have tried it, stands as a wise saying, remember the synthetic oil is made in a lab, that alone might ring a bell, nevermind that several high sale oil is recycled garbage, worth a thought.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
sixshooter said:
As for Magnatec and all the other high end oils.... check the weight

most are 15/40

the 40 is the high end of the viscosity rating...

the Holden owners manual specifies 20/50 for the Ecotec...

So you are more likely to be doing engine damage with these thinner oils as they flow faster and dont leave as thick a layer of oil on your bores.

lol magnatech sticks more, well its meant to even tho its only a 40 rating..

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
and to tell you the truth a oil can not give you any more power then another type of oil..

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
but yea other like thicker oils others like thinner, its personal opninion really

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Unfortunately the propaganda about one is better than another has been taken for gospel by some that have never bothered to try another type, yet put another down which has never been tried, expected.

Some of you miss the "tiny" fact that Mobil 1 was NOT even invented when a VS was coming off the production line so 20-50 was a generic oil offered up as a general purpose oil.

The viscosity of a 10-30 full synthetic oil is higher than a mineral based 20-50, that seems to have been missed amongst the BS of the glossy advertising.

Most know Larry Perkins as both a driver and forget he is a good race engine builder, rest assured he does not use castrol oil in his engines, nor would anyone wanting to get only half race distance.

Bottom line, my VS has 240K on it with no engine work done to it and it uses NO oil and goes better than many later model V6 engines, admittedly I don't thrash the family car and it's serviced regularly, perhaps that has something to do with it.

Use what you want, it's yours after all, I'll stick with my current service schedule with the parts used therin, IE synthetic oil and a 6 month schedule no matter the kms done.

I'll let ya know when it hits 350K, still going the same, LOL.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
............ confusing thread so what should i use in my vn v6 synth or mineral oil??

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Full Synthetic you change every 20k.. With a mineral you should be doing it every 5k.. And 10k with a semi synthetic..

That's what a mechanic I talked to said anyway..

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
so is there any issues going from mineral to synthetic

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I used to swap oils from mineral to synthetic trying to find my favorite oil, best oil I ever used was Mobil one, my car felt like it gained a few hp, reved quicker etc it was just better at everything. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread but then everyone on the forums started saying how it was no good for a old engine, too thin ra ra ra etc, but I never burned any of it in the 5,000ks or so that I ran it and my engine rattles pretty bad on a cold start if I haven't driven it for a few days, Mobil one would probably help stop that because it's just so runny when cold. Anyway I'm going to start using it again now, and screw what everyone else thinks about it : ) I know it makes my car run better and like I allways say, worst case is $400 for another engine from the wreakers and I'm back where I was, no great loss