Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine overheating !

Jakehayes92

TUFF.SPAC
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S 3800
Hi guy my temp is going to like 3 quarters of the way to the top before thermo fan comes on. I have to keep putting the a/c on to make the fan come on other wise it will get way to hot. Would this be caused by temperature sensor ? Or what else could it be ? I got new water pump new thermo new heater tap flushed engine n radiator and bled it for any air still gets real hot if sitting at lights cause fan wont come on any ideas ???

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
3/4 on temp gauge high speed fan turns on that's normal, you can replace both the temp sender and the coolant temp sensor and make sure the engine is bleed correctly wouldn't hurt to replace the low and hi speed thermo relays low speed seems to burn out commonly. also unplug the cts the 2 pin sensor and do a diagnostic check terminals to see if the low speed thermo works,

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
Sounds like your low speed fan isn't kicking in. It should start at 1/2, and if it heats up to 3/4, the high speed takes over. Mine never gets to 3/4 as the low speed fan is enough to keep it under 1/2. I'd check the low speed fan relay like two-bit said.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Could be the sender unit telling porkies, that happened to me, I replaced everything to find it was a $5 sender unit damittt

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
the sender that inputs into the computer is the 2 terminal one thats the one you want to change....dont change the one terminal one ...it just inputs to the temp gauge

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Do a search its been discussed heaps...... common problem :) 90% of the time its the low speed fan relay gone tits up

Jakehayes92

TUFF.SPAC
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S 3800
The low speed fan doesnt work ive replaced the relay still nothing untill the high speed fan comes on.. ill replace the temp sensor and coolant temp sensor and see how that goes but I dunno why its not working