Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Power train light on

BruceVZss6L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6L L76
Hello Fellow Commodore Owners,
HELP NEEDED
I am requesting some advice from you commodore experts out there. I just recently bought a Turismo Blue VZ SS 6L(L76 motor) and the power train light keeps coming on. The dealership I bought it from said that during the engine detailing the sensors or something may have got wet, and that the computer would need a reflash. Me knowing very little about the engine management systems accepted that. The car was checked on a diagnostic machine and it indicated a faulty O2 sensor. It was replaced and the problem still remained, the car was then sent to a Holden dealer where it was re-programmed, (this was done on 2 seperate occasions at 2 different holden dealers) and the problem still remains. I have been reassured by Holden that the engine is operating normally and that no damage will be done. The car has a aftermarket exhaust fitted from the cats back. I rang the previous owner and he told me that he had the full exhaust system (extractors and all), but removed it when he traded it and placed a half system on it. I am wondering whether when the system was replaced that this is the cause of the problem. I appreciate your feedback and thankyou in advance for any advice you may be able to give.

I will post photo's of my car soon.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Hello Fellow Commodore Owners,
HELP NEEDED
I am requesting some advice from you commodore experts out there. I just recently bought a Turismo Blue VZ SS 6L(L76 motor) and the power train light keeps coming on. The dealership I bought it from said that during the engine detailing the sensors or something may have got wet, and that the computer would need a reflash. Me knowing very little about the engine management systems accepted that. The car was checked on a diagnostic machine and it indicated a faulty O2 sensor. It was replaced and the problem still remained, the car was then sent to a Holden dealer where it was re-programmed, (this was done on 2 seperate occasions at 2 different holden dealers) and the problem still remains. I have been reassured by Holden that the engine is operating normally and that no damage will be done. The car has a aftermarket exhaust fitted from the cats back. I rang the previous owner and he told me that he had the full exhaust system (extractors and all), but removed it when he traded it and placed a half system on it. I am wondering whether when the system was replaced that this is the cause of the problem. I appreciate your feedback and thankyou in advance for any advice you may be able to give.

I will post photo's of my car soon.

I had this problem with my vt ls1 berlina and it was just after i had the exhaust done so i'd say that's where your problem lies.

wild13bt

Reaction score
Members Ride
s4 rx7
02 sensor issues

Hey, are the cats oem, or were they replaced also? I had a customer with a VE SS, had the same trouble after the aftermarket exhaust system was fitted. ECM was setting codes to do with the o2 sensors (catalyst efficiency below threshhold), we didn't end up fixing it because it wasn't a warranty problem so I'm not sure what was wrong with it. Holden suggested that the size difference of the pipes could have something to do with it. You have pre and post cat o2 sensors on all my06 vehicles, the one before the cat is normally a smaller pipe and after the cat is the big part like 2 1/2 or 3 inch and the computer has trouble with the different volumes of gas passing the sensor. That's what they recommended to us anyway. I'd be putting the old exhaust back on anyway just to see. It's not a big job, half hour easy if it is only cat back.

ejukated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais L67
where are you located? If your cats are different or in a different position to stock you will most likely need the o2 diagnostic checks changed as they're setup for all factory gear. Common problem with VE's with the same engine when they get new headers/cats

R1DG3Y

Raising Hell Since 87
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Nissan Navara D22
i have this same problem.
its the o2 sensors faulting on your aftermarket exhaust.
holden told me too just ignore it, because it wont do any damage too the car

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
Ignoring and engine powertrain warning light isn't a good idea, especially if it is always on. What if it is reporting something OTHER than the O2 sensor and you ignore it? I'd strongly recommend getting the dealership to do whatever they need to in order to get it fixed under Statutory Used Car warranty (if still within that period). This should definitely be the case if it is constantly giving the false positive warning. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

If they have to put a stock exhaust on then I say so be it.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Does the 6 litre run 2 or 4 O2 sensors?

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Thread dig. I have this exact problem, new sensors on 6L been to mechanic FIVE times! Really had enough, anyone resolve this problem?