Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine questions

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
No thermostat? Probably means that the engine has overheated and could have blown the head gaskets. Sounds abit sus to me. If I was you, I would take the car to a workshop (not a holden dealer) and get it checked out properly, but thats just my opinion, take it or leave it.

codeunknown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Commodore EXE 1999 with vx 3.8/auto
update......well today we visited gmh and 3 leading parts suppliers...holden was helpful and confussing..and 2 of the 3 parts supply places ref books also confussing.. i will explain..we visted supercheap / autopro and autobarn along with holden.. I asked this quesation of holden today...xv cars with va engines...and vs cars with vh engines...and vt cars with standard engines and vs with standards..........what are the temp gauge sender and temp sensor cpu for all..
1) do all have a sensor ...and temp? answer no..........does a vs vt and vx in 6 v6 standards engines have 1 wire sensor and 2 wire temp gauge sensor..........yes...........ok all vr/vs/vt/...xy...vx...in ecotec v6 all use the same temp gauge sender...there can be 2 models listed in some parts supply...depending on brands but they are the all just as good.....meaning no need to change this on engine swap...and get the original will work fine before or after a swap of the models i listed..........same applies for ecu sensor temp...interesting facts from suppliers and gmh.recorded replacements for sensor 1 wire...bugger all in any of the seriers.so the $20 sensor for ecu is hard to kill......however the temp gauge 2 wire sensor ...the most common replaced in all series...cost $30.....this part easy to find and get...the $20 rare as and hard to get...
there are the facts on that found out today by us...

the thermo as we know have 2 types high flow and reg flow thermostates..high flow for towing ...reg flow for non towing..
today we could not get a high flow anywhere and order would be weeks and simular with thermostate gasket...
so be warned if you travel get one and throw in the boot..just in case.

As we thought the new fitted thermostate and new gauge ..and cleaned up sensor ..........pulled 15plusL/100kms...back to 9.5/100kms in my sons car .........
as thought removed by possible over heating which was rad related...and not returned after rad repairs.
no signs of water pump still being sus....
system with coolant and new parts working sweet as a nut!

We ordered a ecu sensor to check...at $20 why not check it?

My son and I are going to see the local ecu chip programmer...and we will find out in the ecu can be dyal chipped and if we could try vx mapping on vt computer and vs computer.
my son also wants to know if we can swap the autos out on vt and vs with vx's in them and use vx autos...instead...
if someone has done it please tell us how etc :)
ty all